8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Captain America (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Captain America
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2013 06:52 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve called me yesterday to let me know that "Captain America" is ready for shipment. Those who have ordered this title should be receiving it in the next few days. He said sales for this title have been good, with possible future digest releases.

Cheers!

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 09:52 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look forward to your review. Please confirm how it's spooled and whether it's acetate. If it's acetate, it would be good to know if the leader at the start still has the yellowish tint, or whether the lab might have some new stock.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2013 10:32 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is spooled on two 400 ft. Reels. Will let you know the details in a few days.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 06:44 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. My print arrived on two 600 foot reels.
will fully review it later, but a check of reel one show perfect sharpness and color values...pretty good stereo sound. I need to mount it on one reel...sit down and watch it beginning to end to judge the editing. That part will be crucial to me because I've never seen the feature. But from the standpoint of print quality, you couldn't get much better. more later in the review section.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 31, 2013 07:49 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much does it cost? [Confused]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 09:30 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gary-

You and I are in the same boat, as I've never seen the movie either. I'll be purchasing a print from the second batch, and I'll chime in on the review thread behind you.

Hey Pat- I believe the price is around $225.

By the way Pat- In your new profile picture, you look kind of like the actor James Remar! Great Pic.

James.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mistake; upon closer inspection my copy is on two 600' reels. I too, have never seen the feature. I did, however, saw The Avengers in the theater.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 31, 2013 11:35 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the reels are approximately equal length, I thought 33 mins would fit on two 400' reels but maybe one reel wouldn't. In this day and age, as reels are not being mass produced, I expect they add a significant amount to the overall cost.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 12:28 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Steve told me it is $229. I'm in line for the 3rd batch.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 09:59 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said in an earlier thread, I watched the full movie out of curiosity, and I really liked it. Action packed, and it will appeal to collectors from countries other than just "America", as there is a multi-national group of good guys along with the Captain.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 31, 2013 10:03 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James

Where is my new profile pic? Thanks for the compliment. That is the headshot I use for my acting resume.

PatD

225.00 is too much money for a 600' film.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2013 02:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting confused here, is this 2 * 600' or one 600'????

quote:
If the reels are approximately equal length, I thought 33 mins would fit on two 400' reels but maybe one reel wouldn't. In this day and age, as reels are not being mass produced, I expect they add a significant amount to the overall cost.

Adrian, Tuscan sells a 400' brand new reel for $3.05 and a 600' for $3.95.

You can get it as many as you want. See the link given by Jon Addams answering Pat's question re adapter.

It does not make a sense to me if Steve put the film onto 2 400' instead of one 600' because it will cost him more.

--------------------
Winbert

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2013 06:45 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve just called and said sales of Captain A. are so good that he's going to release a four minute reel of the graphic titles at the end of the feature and the Avengers trailer that came at the end of the feature. Sending it in for printing today.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 01, 2013 08:34 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

This is a thicker stock, necessitating the use of 2 reels.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 01, 2013 10:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats £145 in our money which will be about right.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 01, 2013 10:43 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it's simply the acetate stock or perhaps also the thickness of the (very good) striping that's on prints from the German lab, but they do seem to occupy more space on the reel than acetate releases from the old mass market days.

I think it's unfair to view the pricing of this release in terms of it being a 600' which it obviously isn't); it's basically like one of the old Universal 2 x 400' releases that would amount to around 33 mins. Yes, it's a sizeable sum to pay but in addition to today's high lab costs, we also need to take into account the cost of the master material and the expense involved in editing it, as I believe this isn't just one or two extracts such as in the case of the releases from 'Gladiator' and 'Pearl Harbour'. And let's face it, any of us wanting new releases don't have a lot to spend our money on nowadays! I think it's great news that it's selling so well, so all credit to Steve and Phil for coming up with the 'right' title.

Winbert - I take your point that reels can still be found for a fairly economical price nowadays, but I'd be surprised if thoise are the sort of prices that the lab passes on to customers. The last 600' release I got thay they printed was on a Bonum-style auto reel that I expect they charge more for.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2013 12:54 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This cost is perfectly in line with the price of films over the years -- which is, to be honest, too rich for my wallet. (Second-hand - or 3rd! - is the how & why of my being in this hobby.)

I raise this point only because I recently saw an old Castle Films ad on eBay, from which I have stolen the image (my apologies to the unknown seller). It has a copyright date of 1942 (see fine print at the bottom). My apologies for the ginormous size of this:
 -
So $17.50 is the price of the B&W 16mm sound print, an amount if converted to 2012 dollars ends up being the princely sum of $246!

OK, fine, you've noticed that's not Super 8. So that's OK -- convert the cost of $54.95 in 1980 for a 17-minute Super 8 color/sound digest to the 2012 dollar, and you're out $153 now. Times 2 for the 33-minute running time of the new prints, and I think you can see that Steve is doing very well for the hobby at $229. My congratulations to him and all who enjoy this digest, and hope it exceeds everyone's expectations.

Colin Auty
Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Colin Auty   Email Colin Auty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting in anticipation for the review.... [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2013 06:06 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too...

Who did the editing?

What is it like...good condensation?

How are the picture and sound transitions??

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has any of the European collectors that have ordered the film from CHC received the print?
I've asked for news a week ago and was told that prints had not arrived yet.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 26, 2013 10:28 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't dream of putting any buyers under pressure, but it's slightly worrying that the first proper digest release for years hasn't yet prompted a review. Could anyone who has this at least offer a line on whether they would recommend it, in advance of any review appearing?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2013 04:49 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised that no one has commented on the Digest who has received it. No review or meaningful details about the print quality yet. [Confused] By now someone must have watched it all the way through!

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 26, 2013 09:38 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy wrote to me saying his review has been delayed, because life tends to get in the way. He'll post one soon.

I understand that there were very few prints in that first run. I'm sure when Forum members get those second batch copies they'll chime in.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2013 04:59 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to seeing the review, although 230 bucks is waaay out of league, at least for now [Frown]

I would to see more digests tho, if sales are as good as they seem. Maybe "Skyfall", that was one helluva movie, although the "dream" would be a full length "the Artist" [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2013 05:35 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quote "The artist" as a nice to have full feature, but only if printed on bw stock!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC