8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » MovieStuff.TV's Newest Telecine...Anyone? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MovieStuff.TV's Newest Telecine...Anyone?
Keith Heydon
Junior

- posted January 27, 2013 09:10 PM      Profile for Keith Heydon   Email Keith Heydon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got an email reply from Roger regarding this newest product,

http://www.moviestuff.tv/retro_8_telecine.html

Looks great "on paper" ..and, not a bad price point..but am wondering if anyone has made the plunge or has any thoughts/comments /concerns about this product.?

Evidently, "camera is built in".

Keith

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 12:09 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have one very soon, so I can report back

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 28, 2013 11:29 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I already have a Workprinter I haven't been interested in Roger's newest design. Appearance-wise it's a cute little compact all-in-one machine and it looks like a simplier operation. I think one would have to have a serious amount of film to transfer or start a business to justify the cost. I'll be awaiting Dino's review [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 08:37 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, are you entirely satisfied with the workprinter?

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 10:31 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would need to have around 10,000 feet of film to justify the cost.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 29, 2013 01:25 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me the Workprinter is fine...and cost-wise for an SD transfer system I already had a good camcorder, TV monitor, and dedicated computer and monitor. For an HD setup I bought an Intensity Pro capture card and I will need to rebuild my computer to a RAID or SSD system.

So...the basic Workprinter XP requires a lot of peripheral equipment which can be very costly. The new MovieStuff Retro 8 might be a cost effective alternative if you have the need to have a frame-by-frame transfer system.

--------------------
Janice

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 01:26 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll take 30 minutes to scan a 50-footer that's 5 hours for 400' - ouch!

Jon

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 29, 2013 01:35 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice that Jon...That's uber slow [Mad] My Workprinter captures at about 8fps...and I thought that was slow [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 01:35 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but since it runs sprocketless it can handle damaged film which is a very good thing, and it is less expensive than the previous models.

--------------------

Keith Heydon
Junior

- posted February 14, 2013 03:55 PM      Profile for Keith Heydon   Email Keith Heydon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

Wonder if anyone's taken delivery of one of the Retro 8 units yet?

Would love to hear some feedback.

KH [Razz]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2013 04:09 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks quite interesting, too bad it would come at close to 4000 USD before it reached my doorstep [Frown]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Keith Heydon
Junior

- posted February 28, 2013 01:57 AM      Profile for Keith Heydon   Email Keith Heydon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the intro pricing ends tomorrow. Am wondering if anyone has taken delivery of the Retro-8, and has any comments or thoughts?

Thanks,
Keith

Pat Walls
Junior

- posted May 08, 2013 07:55 PM      Profile for Pat Walls   Author's Homepage   Email Pat Walls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Retro 8 is supposed to be shipped by the end of this month. It had better be good if it is to beat the quality of my Workprinter modified to Viper. I will let you know the results then

Sean Sexton
Junior

- posted October 13, 2013 10:32 AM      Profile for Sean Sexton   Email Sean Sexton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious if anybody has a review on the unit?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 13, 2013 06:56 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, I know Keith has received his unit...but has been too busy with his job to test it out. I was hoping he would have posted something by now. Also, Dino should have received his too.

--------------------
Janice

Andy Goldsmith
Junior

- posted October 27, 2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Andy Goldsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Goldsmith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I've just become a member of this forum.I now have a retro 8 machine and can answer any questions that you might have.
First impressions is that the machine is very well built, and the quality of the output is good.
For me, the big plus is that one click of the mouse changes everything from std to sup 8 but the downside is the 2FPS capture

At first I thought that everything looked very 'digital' but after comparing screen shots with my 3ccd camera I can see that the result is just clearer
So generally very good ( It did take around 4 months to deliver though )

--------------------
I always try my very best

Sean Sexton
Junior

- posted November 07, 2013 10:58 AM      Profile for Sean Sexton   Email Sean Sexton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andy. I glad to hear you have received your retro 8 b/c I'm thinking about picking one up. I currently use the Sniper HD 8 and 16, but wouldn't mind having a unit that I can use for damaged film like the Retro. Have you used the Sniper HD before? I'm curious about the comparison between the two. Also, also long is the processing time after the capture is complete? With the Sniper you did the initial capture and then you would set the FPS and SD/HD for output, which would take some time to complete. So I'm trying to find out if after capturing the reel you still have a long time to wait for final output?

Andy Goldsmith
Junior

- posted November 07, 2013 01:29 PM      Profile for Andy Goldsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Goldsmith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sean
I haven't used a sniper before,so I can't really compare, although it does seem to be a similar process.
You capture the film then add it to an album.
When you've completed your work you then choose SD/HD .mov files or as Image sequences ( which is what I tend to use ) it then copies to a another folder for you to edit as you wish.
Even with a fast PC HD files do take a while to render.
For me it took some time trying out all the various settings on both the unit and Sony Movie Studio to obtain the result that I was happy with.
I should mention that Moviestuff claim that you can load up and walk away, and to a degree you can, but remember it does rely on being able to see the sprocket holes to capture the frames. So if you start off with say a under exposed section, you've adjusted your light source to suit and then after a while it comes across some over exposed footage although it still travels through the machine the frames might not be recorded. So a certain amount of light adjustment will be required during transfer.
So I would stay with the machine and maybe do something else to kill the time as a 400ft spool does takes 4 hours!
All in all I am pleased with the unit

--------------------

Sean Sexton
Junior

- posted November 07, 2013 02:06 PM      Profile for Sean Sexton   Email Sean Sexton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick reply Andy. When you say the rendering takes a while even with a fast PC, how long are you talking? If 400 feet take 4 or 5 hrs to capture, is the rendering time just as long? I'm really trying to get an idea of overall processing time for start to finished file so I can compare it to the Sniper HD. 400ft on Sniper takes about 40 minutes, and rendering it out takes 45min to an hour, but the time does change depending on SD/HD/TIFF etc. Thanks again.

Andy Goldsmith
Junior

- posted November 07, 2013 02:26 PM      Profile for Andy Goldsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Goldsmith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mainly transfer to SD Image sequence, so a 50ft spool takes around 3-4 mins to render ( JPG Format ).mov seems to take about the same. Although I just capture all my film in one hit and then get it to convert overnight, so it's not really a problem for me.
I don't know how easy it is to go from STD to SUP 8 with the sniper but you just select from a drop down menu which film you are using and then you are good to go!( you don't even need to focus )

--------------------

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 04:11 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that looks pretty neat. It would be a bit of an investment though. Does anybody know what his introductory price was for the unit?

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Andy Goldsmith
Junior

- posted November 07, 2013 04:28 PM      Profile for Andy Goldsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Goldsmith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Retro 8 ranges from $2495 to $2995
at the moment it is $2495
Their Retro 9.5 and 16 are both on special at $2995 ( normally $3995)

--------------------

David Singer
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2014 08:39 PM      Profile for David Singer   Author's Homepage   Email David Singer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Retro8 arrived yesterday and I was able to successfully set it up with a minimum amount of hassle. The first transfer looks good and the unit is easy to operate once loaded. The transfer rate is slow at 30 minutes for 50 feet which I knew going in but I'm retired and it will keep me out of harms way for a while. Actually quite awhile, I have about 10,000 feet of reg 8 and super 8 film of the kids and family from the 50's and 60's and 70's to transfer. But if I don't do it, the film probably will end up on eBay or in a garage sale or just tossed. Fortunately the kids are interested so I have incentive to do it. And with things like Dropbox, Skydrive and Facebook, it's easy to pass along. I see that the current price is now down to $2,350.00. When I become more proficient at using it, I will link a short film here. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

--------------------
David Singer

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2014 09:33 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the retro 8 unit for a few months now and it is really crazy simple to use...The only possible things to look out for would be the calibration between the light source and mirror,, and the level of the light source. Because the unit is software driven these things can cause some weird issues. When I first got mine I played around with it to see what types of results I would get based on all sorts of variations. As long as everything is calibrated the way it states in the instructions you are good to go..It's easy, you get great results and as long as the film isn't damaged or brittle it will go through nice and smooth since there are no sprockets..

Oh and in regards to processing time. The unit runs at a very slow speed during transfer but the processing is lightning fast.

--------------------

Andy Goldsmith
Junior

- posted January 19, 2014 05:19 AM      Profile for Andy Goldsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Goldsmith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David The Retro has indeed come down in price,although now I've noticed you have to buy the software separately at $161 USD

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC