8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann Elvis Release(s)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann Elvis Release(s)
Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 03:52 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge, Derann only released one Elvis feature that Viacom in the USA did not which was "Tickle Me". It makes sense as the Viacom releases were all Hal Wallis Productions through Paramount Pictures but "Tickle Me" was a Allied Artists release. Did Derann reprint any of the Viacom releases? I know they reprinted releases from other companies. As far as I know Derann sold imported Viacom prints. Anyone know for certain? I have never had a Derann catalog, so I have no idea. Most Elvis Viacom prints have color fading but I would imagine that UK struck prints would have better color.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

|  IP: Logged

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 04:22 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann had in the catalog a 3x400 Version of Viva Las Vegas.
And few Trailers.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 08:05 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they also did Blue Hawaii.... thought I saw it on a UK list recently, as a Derann print.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 02:39 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is confusing is Viacom prints were sold in the UK, so if Derann had it in their catalog its doesn't absolutely mean they re-printed it. Every print of "Blue Hawaii" I have seen for sale has some color fading. Due to the popularity of the Elvis features its certainly possible they did re-issue some titles. However, if they did then why are all the used prints faded to a degree? They must be Viacom prints. I have never seen a Viacom print on Low-Fade Print Stock though its possible that some were struck.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 10:02 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the features Derann also released some 200ft versions mainly one section from the feature. I have 'Hawaiian Wedding Song' from I think 'Blue Hawaii' They did a couple of others too.

Started to look at my old film magazines over the last few months I do recall seeing the Elvis film advertised by both Derann in UK mags and Viacom in Super 8 Filmaker.

I hired 'King Creole' from Derann I feel sure that was a Derann release. I also had G.I. Blues hired, sure the were Derann prints.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 11:43 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Joe is correct in that the only official DFS release was the
feature "Tickle Me" 4x400, there was also the 400' release of
the film which was songs from the film.They also put out the 400'
of "Elvis The Movie" with Kurt Russell from GTO Films. I'll certainly
have a check tonight to see if they covered any others.I remember
seeing the ad in one of their mags saying that they had a number
of Elvis' films in stock in their original boxes.It is possible that they
might have printed others.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 08:52 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most Elvis Viacom prints have color fading
My Viacom-prints of "G.I. Blues" and "Girls! Girls! Girls!" are on polyester stock and have absolutely no fading and a really good picture quality.
"Blue Hawaii" faded a little bit, but it is still okay.

quote:
Derann had in the catalog a 3x400 Version of Viva Las Vegas.
Oemer,
do you know is this Version identically to the one, which was released by the UFA in Germany ?

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that is consistent is that Viacom feature prints either have slight fading or are quite faded. The ones that have good color must be due to the quality of the printing labs used as well as how they were stored through the years. Now the Viacom digests are another story as other labs were used. Many of their Digests are faded or have turned red. I don't know when Viacom stopped printing but its not likely they were doing so when Low-Fade stock came out. Its certainly possible that some prints were struck on Low-Fade stock however.

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 03:02 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I had an EXCELLENT color print of the Viacom feature ROUSTABOUT, that I sold a few years ago. Six 400' reels in the original Viacom box from Paul Foster. I think I sold it on 2X800' and 1X600' in Bonum cases. I'm very sorry I let it go.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 06, 2013 03:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that Roustabout print. The color is still good and the sound is great. Mine came on 6 x 400' reels. I put it on 2 x 1200' reels. I also have Blue Hawaii and Paradise Hawaiian Style.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 06, 2013 03:51 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe, have done a bit of digging,Derann also released a couple
of one reelers entitled "ELVIS AT THE MOVIES" No. 1 "No More"
& No. 2"Can't Help Falling in Love".Not being an Elvis fan, I don't know
which film they are taken from, unless it's their own "Tickle Me".

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 05:09 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two Viacom features that I have still have excellent/very good color but it is slightly off due to age. Neither are Elvis titles though. I wouldn't mind a print of "Roustabout" myself; I only have it in Digest form. Its a fun movie and with Barbara Stanwyck in the cast too! I especially like the songs in it. And the supporting cast has several familiar faces who are all excellent. What I don't like is that when released to television the Paramount logos were removed. Sometimes depending on the feature, the end music is abruptly ended because of it.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC