8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Restoring Elmo Guides

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Restoring Elmo Guides
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 30, 2013 07:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ST-800 has a tensioner that rides on the film surface between the heads and the lower sprocket. I got a look at it last week and found the beginnings of two grooves worn in it corresponding to the edges of the film.

This means I now have flat surfaces resting on the film. They are small enough I'm sure they aren't wearing into the frame, but of course given enough miles of film passing by they will and this machine projects a lot of film.

Has anybody here got experience reprofiling parts like this? It's made of that famous pea-green Elmo plastic. I'm wondering if all it would take is two tiny streaks of epoxy and some fine shaping, but I don't know if epoxy even sticks to this stuff.

Thoughts?

PS: on the ST-1200 this function is done by a roller, that's what you get spending more money.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 07:18 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, are you referring to the head presser that holds the stripe to the head and fits below the film loop.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 30, 2013 07:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,

No, this is after the gate and before the bottom sprocket. It's a lever with a spring and your traditional V-shaped sliding guide. (I see your confusion: I fixed my original post. I shouldn't try using my brain after I get home from work!)

First thing I did was go to the parts machine. That part was worn identically, so it's either fab a better replacement or fix what I have.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 07:53 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Right I think I've got it now Steve, it isn't you, it's me.The plastic
part does the job of the snubber roller, it is the same with the
GS1200, I have just two weeks ago replaced the horrible plastic
guide with a nylon roller salvaged from an old video recorder.
What I did was to cut away the plastic and leave the moulded part
with the spring, to which I attached the metal spindle with roller
with epoxy resin.It works great, and was the final roller to be
fitted to the GS, which I have been using while my Fumeo is
out of action, needing a wiring repair.Why ELMO could not have
done something similar beats me

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 31, 2013 03:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve. Hugh is dead right, that little black jockey thing is absolutely below spec for these machines and prone to wear due to constant tension and contact with the film. I agree with Hugh its best to work out a replacement rotating guide perhaps using a defunct part from another 8mm projector.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 10:34 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same thing on one of my GS 1200: a roller is much better, and it's awesome!!! I like to see it while "caressing" my films during projection.
It's the way to go.

--------------------
Maurizio

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2013 04:40 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a similar mod to my ST-180.
Nylon roller attached to the modified, existing spring/arm assembly.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 31, 2013 10:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have got to do this.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2013 01:12 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone please post some pictures so that the rest of us don't have to re-invent the wheel [Smile] As a new GS user I'd like to make sure I get my machine up to its best possible options...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 01, 2013 08:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided to machine a roller out of Delrin rod and build a mount for it.

Life being what it is this can't be a priority. So in the meantime I took my spare tensioner and reprofiled it so it is the same shape but without the gouges. I used this funky nail file my wife has with many different grits on it (Wives can be useful at times!) and shaped it and then polished it very smooth.

I ran a crappy reel through it, backed it up and ran it again: all is well.

(Note for the folks on the "What to do with red prints" thread. Here's one thing.)

I think I'll go through the fine polishing stage tonight: all 600 feet of "Wind Through the Wires", which is not exactly a pristine print either. When I feel comfortable I'll start showing the good stuff on this machine again.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 01, 2013 08:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what the back wheel looks like on my Vespa! [Big Grin]
 -

Have a look through Desmonds video rebuild clips. He has done a wonderful job indeed and does show a good picture of the jocky wheel upgrade on his Gs1200 Xenon. Amazing work Desmond. https://vimeo.com/43677907

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC