8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Music for Silent Comedies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Music for Silent Comedies?
Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2013 08:47 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On another thread, someone asked what music to play with silent films. I have no problem with silent films being silent, especially the features. For Laurel and Hardy, I use Leroy Shields (the original composer of the Laurel and Hardy 'sound') played by the Australian band with original instruments, The Beau Hunks. It sounds very much like the original as they are playing Leroy Shields' original music. Both CD's are chocked full of music for silent comedies.

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Leroy-Shield/dp/B000005 YQ7/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360851321&sr=1-1&keywords=leroy+shield

Also played by the Beau Hunks from Leroy Shields, many of the Laurel and Hardy film's music.

http://www.amazon.com/Hu nks-Original-Laurel-Hardy-Music/dp/B00002838I/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360851489&sr=1-6&keywords=laurel+and+hardy+music

-

-

Terrific music, highly recommended.

For Chaplin I go to James P. Johnson on piano solo or Jelly Roll Morton piano solos.

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2013 01:49 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard for comedies I have always had good luck with instrumental jazz 78's...I have a bunch loaded on my ipod, and I just hit shuffle and let them play and it always amazes me how often they will fall right into place with the action on screen. I think there was a standard rhythm to silent comedy that matches up naturally with early jazz..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 20, 2013 08:32 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You had some excellent accompaniment at the last CINSEA, some of the music was from Killiam's "Movie Museum", where can I get a copy of that? - Shorty

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2013 04:44 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When TCM played the Our Gang silents a few years ago, they used the same few pieces of music over and over again. It drove me crazy. I eventually just turned the sound off.
[Big Grin]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 21, 2013 08:36 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wear earplugs

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2013 06:12 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? I can't hear you.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC