8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Determining polyester or acetate stock

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Determining polyester or acetate stock
Jim Hepler
Junior

- posted February 27, 2013 08:05 PM      Profile for Jim Hepler   Email Jim Hepler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if there's a quick way to determine if a super 8 print is on acetate or polyester? I just got the 800' Universal 8 version of Slap Shot, and it has a chemically, possibly vinegary smell. But, it also has a sticker saying it was cleaned, so I thought maybe it'd been chemically cleaned. If this was a polyester print, I figure I'd know for certain it was not vinegar, and just cleaning agents I'm smelling.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

Also, this is my first post! Hi everyone! I do intend to post more, as I'm just getting into film collecting. It's an addicting hobby already. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 27, 2013 08:32 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Forum. I have never heard of a polyester Universal 8 print. But apart from it being a bit thinner, you can easily check by tearing off a frame or two from the start or end - if it breaks easily, it's acetate. I have never heard of a U8 release with VS - I think the smell is probably the cleaning but I can't be certain.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2013 08:47 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try tearing a tiny piece, if you find it difficult or it stretches, it is polyester. or place it between two polarisers: http://www.paulivester.com/films/filmstock/guide.htm

That will give you an example. For audiotape i found holding it up to light while wound on a spool tightly was a good indicator as well, acetate was partially transparent, while polyester appeared opaque.

Jim Hepler
Junior

- posted February 27, 2013 09:25 PM      Profile for Jim Hepler   Email Jim Hepler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to tear off a piece - felt more like breaking it off than tearing it actually. It's also translucent under light on the reel.

I might add the faintly vinegary smell seems to have faded significantly already - it was in a hard plastic bottom opening container, and leaving that open seems to have helped. I'm still suspicious though - if it has VS, is it safe for my other films if I project it?

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2013 09:27 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I have a 800' U8 Digest on Polyester Stock. But it was a late printing near the end of U8. I do have a U8 Cartoon on Polyester Print Stock. The easiest and fastest way to tell is the tear test as described above.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 27, 2013 10:05 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projecting it if it had VS would not put your other films at risk. You can buy 'A-D Strips' to test for VS but it would be a lot of money to buy a pack if you're only worried about one film.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2013 10:37 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tear test works good. If you hold the reel up to the light, holding it as if it were a disk, then if you see the light shine through, you got yourself a polyester print. If no light shines through, you have yourself an acetate print.

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2013 08:26 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the reverse was true in that case... but i only did that rest with reel to reel tape

I had ones smell of vinegar that faded after being removed from the container, remember if they have been in there for years, any offgassed acetic acid will dissipate if it is not too bad, as moisture breaks the acetyl groups away from the cellulose if left for a long time in that state it eventually speeds up the reaction.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also if you have a Guillotine splicer I have noticed they do not cut poly prints as easy, and if you have a kodak splicer it requires a bit more pressure to cut the film. I've heard vitafilm gives a similar smell to vinegar as well just leave the film in the wide open should slow it down if it has it.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2013 09:35 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jake, you are absolutely right when it comes to reel to reel audio tape. It will be see through when it is acetate and more opaque when it is polyester. With film it is the exact opposite, fortunately or unfortunately. They gotta keep us on our toes [Big Grin] I believe, and correct me if I am wrong fellow film lovers, it has to do with the chemical process of the film vs. using magnetics on the audio tape.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 28, 2013 10:56 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Jake & Matt are quite correct in that if you hold it up to the light
you can see your fingers through it, then it's polyestar. Try to break it at the sprockets, it won't only twisting & creasing, it's
polyestar.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 28, 2013 01:11 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have never heard of a polyester Universal 8 print.
Adrian, I have seen many U8 two parter spooled onto 600'. So This must be polyester.

I have also some U8 that is seen not full on a 400' reel but the length is just enoguh for 17 minutes. So this must be polyester too.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 28, 2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Acetate, (even brand new acetate prints) tend to have a yellowish cast to the color, which is entirely frustrating because it does affect the overall color scheme just a little.

The film lab still using this stock does it's best to compensate for that in they're color timing, but sometimes, it's just too painfully obvious.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2013 12:12 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is a picture of both the film on the red reel is poly stock and the one on the left is acetate. while the acetate is still see through it is not as clear.
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC