8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Japanese Super 8mm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Japanese Super 8mm?
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2013 11:14 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So in America we had Ken, Castle, Blackhawk, Columbia, Disney, U8 ... ETC

In The UK- Mountain, Walton ... ETC

Germany -UFA, Marketing,Piccolo ... ETC

So my question is ...

Did Japan have any small (Super 8) format releases? [Confused]

Just Curious!

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 06, 2013 01:38 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Asahi corporation and Fuji released 8mm films.
Fuji released Ken's Star Wars.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2013 02:36 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002441

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 06, 2013 05:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Japan had their own release both local films and import. Howeer their prices now are unrealistic while the print quality is jurst the same like others, i.e reddish and lines.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 06, 2013 01:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I would love to find out about is the japanese super 8 optical sound features. They were obviouslty out there, as I have a feature print, optical sound of the Burt Reynolds film, "Hooper", in fuji film, with spot on perfect color, and small japanese subtitles.

I understand from a dource years ago that they released super 8 optical until sometime in the early 1990's and there may to this day be some titles that I'd love to get. They released "Hunt For Red October" in japan on super 8 optical sound. I didn't acquire it, but i saw it for sale once.

Being that by time "STAR TREK 4" was released on super 8 optical as a feature, that they were allowing for both an english and an japanese optical track, there's every chance that these later features would not have subtitles either.

Yumm ... another countries opticals to long for!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2013 03:07 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember many years back I sold a print of "Back To The Future", it had English sound, but Japanese sub-titles, the only problem was the sub-titles were not that small, and in a lurid red, I sold it off course, it was fine during the many action sequences, but when people talked, the subs were very distracting.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2013 08:33 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember back in the 70's my father went on a trip to Japan and I begged him to bring me back something on super 8. He asked at the front desk of his hotel... and later that day a film dealer was called in who came up to his room with a brief case full of films. My father bought one, a 100' color/sound digest of Monster Zero with a really cool Godzilla box. Sadly, I lost it over the years... but I remember the quality being excellent... and I wonder what else was in that brief case! You would think with the Elmo factory being there super 8 would have been quite popular.

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2013 10:28 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Brian! That's a great story! Would've loved to have seen that one! (and that briefcase!) [Smile]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 07, 2013 11:21 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my "Ferris Bueller's day off" optical is a japanese print. Or is it the "Untouchables"? One of them has Japanese subtitles.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC