8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay Auctions ended early by seller? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ebay Auctions ended early by seller?
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 13, 2013 07:09 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Buying films from ebay is actually a more fair way of gaining those
sought after films, everyone has a fair chance,rather than at a film fair where first come, first served is the order of the day,and if you
arrive late,too bad.No I much prefer buying online,less carry on
lugging film about plus avoiding what passes for a rail service.

|  IP: Logged

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2013 10:26 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that getting films from ebay is not bad for the most part. There are sellers I trust and ones I wouldn't buy from to save a life. You gotta be able to fish through that. One of the things that is quite frustrating is the sniper programs, as it forces you to do all the bidding in the last minute or so. I watch a lot on ebay, but unfortunately making a bid early just raises that price further. I also wonder sometimes if there are people out there, I highly doubt anyone on this site, that have a second ''account'' just to raise the price up fast in the end. The last film I won, I had a go price going, I was winning, then in the last 5 seconds, it tripled my current price. Fortunately for me, I had a higher bid still. Though this seems almost planned. I guess I just wonder how many people are there that actually know how much their film is worth and how much they ''think'' their film is worth, just because they have something on film. A good example would be the ridiculous priced 16mm Plant of the Apes, mention in another topic.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 13, 2013 02:04 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matt,

Sniping is used quite commonly these days - nothing wrong with it, I use it myself. The only way to compete with this is to use a sniping service yourself. Just enter the highest amount you're willing to bid and leave it.
Dead easy.

I agree with Hugh on this:

quote:
As for not answering emails,then the only thing is
to be very clear in the description of the item,thus removing the
need for questions.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2013 02:15 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if this is a hobby then film fairs should be attended and help the organisers by attending .as lee stated it takes months to organise i to have been over to my new venue at blackpool 3 times now making arrangements for the film show on my new 12ft screen .re buying films get there early and join the que then you have the same chance as everyone else no point getting there at 12 when venue starts at 10 .remember these events are held for your enjoyment so support them or lose them ,am i right in saying geoff wheeler has now called it a day maybee some one could confirm this .my ambition is to make blackpool the best film fair in the uk this year hope to see you all

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" The art of bidding" I have a computer program that places my bid at the 5 second mark. Now I know others are also doing this
so I place my bid manually at 3 seconds. Due to computer/server speed and etc. that's my limit. Health reasons limits my travel; this forum an ebay are my source for films. EBAY IS NOT AN AUCTION

--------------------
Bruce Wright

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC