8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 607D Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 607D Help
Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 12, 2013 01:29 PM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: Complete Super 8 Novice

Hi!

Today I recieved what is my first STD/Super 8 projector through the post and typically it appears there are some problems from the outset.

For starters, despite making a quite satisfying noise when turned on, the film-format selector light doesn't appear to be operational - is this a simple matter of some on board light succuming to old age or perhaps a more sinister indication that things arn't working? Also it appears the bulb may have gone as it doesn't light up when you turn it on. Are the two lights connected that way? I'm going to order a replacement now, hopefully it won't take too long to arrive!

I'll try and upload a video of it shortly to help diagnose the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I also need to get my hands on a universal film reel as one was not supplied with my purchase. Any ideas where is best to get one? Thanks again!

EDIT2:

Video: http://tinypic.com/r/1igxn4/6

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/0h9iD

[ March 12, 2013, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Patrick Casey ]

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 03:33 PM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Patrick!
The film format selector light is "operated" by the main bulb.
If the main bulb is not working it might be blown but there is another issue possible: the socket is often corroded and therefore the contact is bad. So when you get your new bulb and it's still not working don't worry, you can find and change the socket easily.
It's a great sturdy projector with usually no big things going wrong.
Greetings from Eumig land.

--------------------
Alex

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 12, 2013 03:44 PM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi Patrick!
The film format selector light is "operated" by the main bulb.
If the main bulb is not working it might be blown but there is another issue possible: the socket is often corroded and therefore the contact is bad. So when you get your new bulb and it's still not working don't worry, you can find and change the socket easily.
It's a great sturdy projector with usually no big things going wrong.
Greetings from Eumig land.

Hi Alex. Great! That's certainly a relief. I'll have to try and get my hands on a bulb tomorrow and hopefully that will sort it. With regards to my other query, is there specific take up reel I should be on the look out for? The Eumig manual lists it as a 'Universal' take up reel so I was rather hoping they were fairly common/easy to get hold of ...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 12, 2013 10:14 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick...the Universal just means you can use it for both R8mm and S8mm film. A 400ft S8 takeup real will work fine.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 22, 2013 06:17 AM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice. Finally got my act together (very busy recently) and got a takeup reel but I was wondering about whether or not it is possible to increase the screen size the projector puts out. It would appear as much as I increase the throw distance the screen seems to only be about 10"-15".

Additionally, it's incredibly loud, I wasn't aware how much louder until I had witnessed a Hanimax, which seemed significantly quieter! Could there be some operational problem that's causing the increased noise output? Anything I can solve with my zero technical skills and overbearing amateur enthusiasm?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 22, 2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick, Eumigs are not the quietest machines...but if your projector still is making that loud clunking noise then there is a problem. I don't have my 607D anymore so I can't be specific...but it sounds like a gear is slipping or could be damaged. First off you need to open the back (should be only a couple of screws) and see if you can spot where the noise is originating.

--------------------
Janice

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 23, 2013 06:35 PM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Janice, thanks for this. The next opportunity I have to get a decent look at it, I'll give an update. Hopefully it's nothing too difficult to rectify!

Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2013 08:44 PM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Pic7.. Ahhhhh. What a cute little dog. What is his\her name?

:Desmond

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 23, 2013 09:40 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That could also be the blower fan hitting the edge of the housing when it spins. It sure is loud. But I think more a gear jumping cogs.

Good luck

PatD

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 24, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to update as soon as I get the chance!

quote:
Re: Pic7.. Ahhhhh. What a cute little dog. What is his\her name?

:Desmond

Mickey! Hah, he may look cute here but just try and take that toy away from him and you'll see what a little terror he can be!

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 26, 2013 07:01 PM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the meantime can anyone shed any light on the screen size/throw distance of this model of projector? It seems rather absurd that it doesn't put up an image bigger than about 10" despite a fairly large distance from the wall. Thanks.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 26, 2013 08:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the distance between your wall and the lens?

--------------------
Janice

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 27, 2013 05:15 AM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around 5 or so metres. I've done the same with another projector and get much more sizable results. Is this just characteristic of the Eumig?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC