8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector cleaning & using compressed air

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector cleaning & using compressed air
Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2013 06:54 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been enjoying my first super-8 sound projector over the last couple weeks; a Chinon 7000...seems to be working very well and it's great to re-watch all the films I have bought only this time with full glorious sounds lol...

A couple questions for forum members; I still don't have all the lingo down so you will have to excuse my choice of words.

I have been tinkering with several projectors but really only with belts and lamps.....the Chinon 7000 is running great however there seems to be a significant build-up of lint/hairs/dust which is projected onto the screen when I run film through it. I know this can be cleaned I'm just not sure where to clean and how to do it safely.....any tips for me! I know this is an easy clean; I just want to be sure I don't cause any damage...is there any risks?

Also; I am wondering if it would be safe to use a can of compressed air to clean out a projector? The stuff used on PC's and key-boards? Any thoughts on this one?

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 19, 2013 07:00 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adam

I use compressed air. Also alc0hol on a small brush to clean the film gate. That's the square hole that the film passes by and the light shine through just to aquaint you with the terms.

PatD

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2013 07:07 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used compressed air for years with no problems. Just don't use it while the lamp is lit, or not fully cooled down. It could shatter.

I also have some cleaning pads I bought. They have a felt/lint free cloth wrapped over one end, its flat about 10mm wide. Edit Just remembered I didn't buy them they were cleaning pads for the old Strowger exchange selectors. They were going to bin them "I have a use for them"

I wouldn't recommend using cotton buds as they can leave bits behind.

I also had some IPA wipes, but I only used these on stubborn marks.

Edit Also have an old Kodak puffer brush I use.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Glenn Brady
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2013 07:59 AM      Profile for Glenn Brady   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Brady   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a small vacuum with a crevice tool attachment along with a soft brush. In my view, using compressed air simply keeps a lot of dust and dirt circulating somewhere inside the machine.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 19, 2013 08:49 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
All good advice there Adam, also you need to equip yourself with
a brush to clean the picture gate. I find a narrow paint brush
of 1/2" or 1" will do the job admirably,just remember to put a
bit of tape over the ferrule to avoid scratching and away you go.
Happy shows.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC