8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Stupid question ... Where is the cutter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid question ... Where is the cutter?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 24, 2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Chinon 6100 and a Prinz (something, don't remember the model) and I can't find a cutter on them. Is it usually no cutter and if not, how should it be cut (straight with a scissor?)

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2013 07:09 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar,
Often the cutter is seperate and originally comes with the projector,but they are easily lost over the years,some projectors had them screwed onto the projector body. The film ends are best cut with a slight curve and just above a sprocket hole,it feeds easier that way for autofeeders.
Cheers,
Clinton

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2013 07:14 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar,
Often the cutter is seperate and originally comes with the projector,but they are easily lost over the years,some projectors had them screwed onto the projector body. The film ends are best cut with a slight curve and just above a sprocket hole,it feeds easier that way for autofeeders.
Cheers,
Clinton

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 27, 2013 03:53 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super, that was what I thought ... Strange if they didn't need cutting at all. I guess that's a hard thing to find for a Prinz and a Chinon then?

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 04:58 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....every film trimmer/cutter are exactly the same design, as long as they are for the 8mm film guage....

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 27, 2013 07:54 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You sure? If I use a film cut with the Eumig, it tends to stick in my Elmo, but not if I cut it on the Elmo. And they're not identical, can distinuish between Eumig and Elmo cuts

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen some that are straight and others with a slight curve. Try a finger nail clipper that has a slight curve

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true that Elmo have curved trimmers; film ends trimmed on other machines will, most certainly, not work on them. But this is an exception...

--------------------
Maurizio

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 27, 2013 06:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Vidar on this one:

I've found that the Eumig 800 series cut (straight across with the corners cut at an angle) doesn't work well with an Elmo but the Elmo cut (curved) plays nicely on a Eumig 800 series, so my standard cut is "Elmo"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2013 05:19 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Eumig Mark S projectors for silent film; I don't have a cutter that came originally with them. But if I don't cut very close to the sprocket hole it wouldn't feed the film automatically and produce an accordion from the leader. Series 800 projectors, which show a very similar construction, don't show this behaviour. Odd.

--------------------
Alex

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC