8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Low fade Sunn classics film released abroad on Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low fade Sunn classics film released abroad on Super 8?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 20, 2013 01:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, could folks from France and Italy please answer this question?

I have noticed as of late (and I REALLY wish I had the money to purchase it), I believe Jean was selling a print of "When The North Wind Blows", one of the SUNN Classic pictures, and I also personally own a super 8 feature print of "The Adventures of Frontier Fremont" another Sunn Classic picture, Kodak SP, slight fade but still watchable.

The reason why I ask is, "When The North Wind Blows" was released on a very good low fade stock (from the images on the auction), and so I wonder if, per chance, "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" might have made it onto magnetic sound super 8, AND on low fade stock, as there appears to be a possibility of that?

I hope to hear good news on this, as it would allow for more than just the optical super feature as an avenue of search for this title.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 21, 2013 06:39 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe WTNWB was released by JEF Film uncut, if memory
serves correct Osi, apart from the 8 reel Walton print.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 01:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, thank you very much, we are getting closer!

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 02:57 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi, I have delved into the archives and can tell you that Jef
released "When the North Wind Blows" in colour at 113 mins
for £119.00, "The Adventures of Frontier Fremont" col. 95 mins
at £119.00 and "Mountain Man" col.96 mins also £119.00. This
of course was 1981, but I shall keep a weather eye open for
you if I come across them.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 22, 2013 07:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting:

It means that "When the North Wind Blows" was realeased by three companies: Walton, Jef and Viacom.

-Maybe each of them was contracted in a different market.

(My Viacom "WTNWB" is definitely NOT low fade!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 11:21 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be Steve, that Jef might just have been distributing a Viacom release.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 23, 2013 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My "Adventures of Frontier Fremont" is Kodak SP and unfortunately, browning.

One interesting note to this film ...

It was originally cinemascope in theatrical release. The logo for "Sunn Classic" films, and the credit sequence are all in scope. When it gets to the fade, it's flat frame. (too bad about that). "Fremont" (though I do adore "Grizzly Adams") is a better film story wise and all, as well as having Denver Pyle in it, who would one year later, play "Mad Jack" on the TV series.

This is the only scope film that I know of that Sunn Classic released. They were usually low budget in general and wouldn't spring for "frills" like scope. Too bad, Id love to see this film in scope, as they always had such lovely scenery in them.

I wonder if "Adams" didn't make it onto magnetic super 8 because, by the time these above mentioned titles were being released, "Adams" was a major property, (with the TV series and all), while these eariler films were not making any money anymore, so why not allow they're release on super 8? A little more bucks generated.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2013 05:52 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting rememberances about Sunn-Schick releases-

In the 70's, at my local neighborhood grindhouse movie theater, they would always show great double-features, like "Frogs" with "Food of the Gods", or "Squirm" with "Incredible Melting Man". But, whenever a Sunn-Schick movie played there, it was not allowed to be played with another movie...AND- the theater was cleared after every show.....AND- there were signs up at the box office saying "No Free Passes" (whatever that meant).

I didn't like all the restrictions, but it did sort of add to the appeal of those movies, like, "These movies must be REALLY special or something".

I remember seeing a few there at that theater. One about Noah's Ark, one about Big Foot (Mysterious Monsters), another about after-death experiences. They were pretty interesting, and alot like the show "In Search of....", that was popular at that time.

Sorry, done rambling [Wink] .

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 24, 2013 08:20 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the "ramblings" James,it's these little insights that add a
lot to folks attending cinema.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC