8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Jef Films full list?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jef Films full list?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2013 01:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone give me a full list of the Jef films releases, features and otherwise?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2013 01:42 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi. Jef Films did loads of trailers "Revenge Of The Jedi" in scope/stereo "Octopussy" both 50ft. From one of their ads Bye Bye Birdie, The Jolson Story, Emmanuelle, Cat Ballou, Born Free. They also had some black & white Columbia's.

I've gone all nostalgic over the last 12 months looking at all my old magazines, catalogues and stuff. I'm amazed at some of the titles that were for sale.

When I see Jef's next time I'll scan it and post.

Most of the films I bought were usually very good quality too.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2013 04:12 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few Jef scans

From Movie Maker Jan 81
 -
From Movie Maker June 81
 -
From Movie Maker August 81
 -
From Movie Maker June 82
 -
From Movie Maker June 82
 -

And here's a link to my website for the images too

The Reel Image (UK) Jef Films

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 28, 2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - Fresh back from CINSEA, no 'Grizzly' - I tried - Stay tuned - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 28, 2013 06:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could have been there, my friend! [Frown]

I happen to have a print of the Jef Films release "Return of the Jedi" trailer, on LPP stock. Beautiful!

The person started the company when they were 13?

(info from another website)

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 28, 2013 07:14 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - Many thanks for posting those ads, which make very interesting reading. As quite a lot of the product listed is from other distributors (e.g. Univerals 8 and the ABC features), it's very difficult to be sure what Jef released other than trailers. If anyone can offer an insight, it would be very welcome. Some of the features listed - e.g. Frankenstein's Daughter - are clearly ultra rare.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 29, 2013 08:54 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just won The Wolfman on ebay and coincidently on the leader is says Jef Films. I looks to be a very full 600' reel. When I get it I will update my post Stay tuned! [Wink]

PatD

-

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 29, 2013 09:12 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember some years ago on a tv spot when the young chap
was being interviewed that owned the company, he was saying
that he now had a huge library of silent films.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 29, 2013 12:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much it costs to get rights to release this stuff, (the Terrytoon cartoons, for instance). It appears that Jef films had the rights to release a number of "ABC Films" releases, as i see a few of them as well. ThanX 4 those great old catalogs!

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2013 02:59 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, As Adrian says some of the titles were from other companies of the time. Although if the ABC Films were from Viacom he could be the distributor in the later days.

Its the Columbia titles that got me thinking. I never remember seeing features advertised in the Columbia lists, the only features I know of were for hire only in UK direct from Columbia/Warner and later from Derann.

He seemed to be around for about 5 years in super 8.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2013 01:32 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at this forum and the net in general regarding Jef Films I found a little info Chip Gelmini posted somewhere on this forum about Jeff, I can't find it now.

It was about a fire at his home, sadly his father who was in his 80's died in the fire. I sometimes spoke to Don when I ordered films from Jef. If he had posted them out he used to sign them "the old man".

This is a link to the fire report

I also found this on IMDB Jeffrey H. Aikman

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2013 03:34 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I remember when this topic was posted back in 2006. How very sad [Frown] .

Such a tragedy takes a long time to get through. I wonder how Jeff is doing these days.

James.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2013 03:59 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found the article from "What Video" magazine March 1993.
 -

The Reel Image (UK) Jef Films

No wonder I get grumbled at, the stuff I keep.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2013 05:53 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a very interesting history in the film business this fellow has. Thank you for posting all of these links and articles about Jef Films!

I did have one of his last all-super-8 film lists from the late 80's, which were loaded with trailers of movies from that decade (Flashdance, Officer & Gentleman, just to name a few). At the time it came out, there were so many new releases coming from Derann and some small companies here in the U.S.A. I remember Jef's trailer prices seemed a little steep for me back then, and each trailer was sold separately, so his films never made it past my "wish list" unfortunately. As we know now, the quality of his releases were fantastic, and have still held up with no fade of any kind.

If I find the list, I'll be sure to scan it for the forum.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 01, 2013 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected!

Wow! Way to show enthusiam and initative!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC