8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Canon Auto Zoom 318MB (Repair Guide, Mirror, View Finder)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canon Auto Zoom 318MB (Repair Guide, Mirror, View Finder)
Ross Trimboli
Junior

- posted May 06, 2013 11:16 PM      Profile for Ross Trimboli   Email Ross Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

A fellow Super-8 fan here. I've recently dug up an old Canon Auto Zoom 318M and gave the unit a bit of a clean up - cleaned inside the battery compartment, re-soldered some weak joins etc and so forth, anyway, the camera is in what I think is what seems good operating condition, motor runs nicely, zoom works (can be seen from outside the lens) except for the view finder. I believe the mirror had been dislodged long before I got my hands on it. It was rattling around but was able to get it out safely when I took one side panel off (It was just floating were the trigger is).

What I'm looking for is a repair manual or even a direction to a site if anyone has a repair or disassembly detailed. I can't for the life of me remove the left hand side cover (battery compartment side, I have removed the top cover and the right hand side panel), hoping that I will be able to re-fit the dislodged mirror for the viewfinder to get this little beauty operational again.

It seems useable as it is, however I wouldn't want to waste valuable film by just guessing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ross

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2013 03:25 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a long time ago that I took one of these cameras apart, so I can't really remember details. But what I recall is that you have to take the holding grip off, which is a hussle because when you remove it the bits just fall apart and you don't know how they originally fit together. Have you already done that?

--------------------
Alex

Ross Trimboli
Junior

- posted May 07, 2013 06:25 PM      Profile for Ross Trimboli   Email Ross Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alexander,

I got the handle off, used some small needle nose pliers that fitted perfectly in the holes that allowed be unscrew them. After that I removed the top screw and the four screws on the base of the body. I got the right hand side (Looking from the top with the lens facing forward) off without a hassle which opened up the film cassette bay. The right hand side seems to be locked somehow, I thought it may have something to do with the focus dial however I'm unsure. I was hesitant in forcing the panel off.

Will have to give it another try I just in case I missed something.

Ross

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC