8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » G.E. Show N' Tell

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G.E. Show N' Tell
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 11:03 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here remember the General Electric Show N'Tell from the 1960'S. It was kind of like Vitaphone for kids! A series of still 35mm picture transparancies were mounted onto a plastic strip which was pushed into a slot on top of the player, and a record was placed onto the turntable. The picture was automatically advanced in sync with the story. My daughter had one as a kid and really loved it.
Primitive by todays standards of course, but somehow a lot more endearing.
 -

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2013 01:46 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes- I love those units! I had one when I was about 5-9 years old. When my son was about 6 years old in the mid-90's, I naively went to Toys R Us, looking for one to buy my son. They thought I was crazy, and then I realized, I was about 10 years too late [Frown] .

I finally got a nice used one a few years ago, and I love it. Unfortunately, my son is now 23! [Cool]

James.

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one. The only story I remember watching is "The Fall of The House Of Usher"! Pretty scary for a 7 year old!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2013 05:27 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would get the programs as gifts every year (in the late 60's) from relatives, so unfortunately most were of an "educational" subject [Roll Eyes] .

The Show N Tell programs come up on ebay quite often. Unfortunately, most of the machines were quite cheaply made, so they are harder to find.

James.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 06:31 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of those when I was a kid... so began my obsession with audio visual equipment.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 09:27 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have one. I still have an extra bulb and needle for it, too. I own about 30 or so titles. The unit still plays perfectly. The quality of the records varies being that as a I was 6 or 7 when I first got it, but they all still play. The strips are actually 8mm frames and every one of them has pretty much faded to red. There are a handful that still have some blues and greens present. The best part is my 4 year old actually likes to watch them every now-and-again. I am so lucky. I have 2 daughters (10 & 4) who actually enjoy watching Dad's films and such. Hey, at least I have a nice collection of true rarities to leave them. Nobody else in our neighborhood has films or projectors so my hobby, to others, is both intriguing and entertaining to everyone who comes over for a showing. Imagine years from now if my girls can still use Dad's stuff. Sadly, the reality is it's highly unlikely the likelihood the projectors will really still be useable 30-40 years from now.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,
I think you are being unduly pessamistic about projectors not lasting another 40 years. My 1920 Pathe Baby, although admittedly a simple machine, still runs like new (actually better than new with its new halogen lighting). My Bolex 18-5 , circa 1960, is in mint, full operating, condition, as is my 1970's Eumig 810. I fully expect all these machines to be fully functional long after I am gone. As will be all the black and white and Kodachrome films that I have. The jury is still out on "low fade" color prints. So I really believe that your girls will still be able to enjoy your film stuff for decades to come, and that includes the little G.E. Show N' Tell. [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC