8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ordering new releases at CHC (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ordering new releases at CHC
Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 07:38 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear forum members,
I just sent off an e-mail to Phil of CHC.
I publish it here because I just wonder if you guys experience the same difficulties trying to order new releases at his shop.
Here's what I wrote him:

quote:
Hi Phil,
thanks for the answer. Now I have got more to ask:
How come you list so much new releases on your homepage but got so little titles in stock? The last few times, most of the titles I asked for were "not in stock".
When are you able to sell a copy of "Pluto's Playmate" for example? Or "For Better or for Nurse"? Can you tell that in advance? Or better: Make it clear on your home page, wich titles are availalbe now.
I find it quite frustrating always to hear "not available at the moment"; I am sure this does not help your business.
Please don't get me wrong - I don not attack or accuse you here; I'm sure there is a good reason for the fact I am complaining about. All I want to say is: Make it understandable or clear, wich of the new titles you are able to sell at the moment. And when to expect the other titles.
It's great you still churning out so many new titles on Super 8mm or 16mm and I am very grateful for that! Only they should not be so hard to obtain!
Best regards,
Michael Scheck

Please don't get me wrong: I do not want to start a Phil-bashing here. I hope to get something out of your answers, like suggestions for business-improvements to Phil...

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 07:47 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've ordered films too, on the list, but clearly not updated often. Regular 8 especially, I got a reply, Pit and the Pendulum was not available, but a couple of months later, it was still on there. And there's stuff he can't find on the list (bet he has a lot though) ... But it's not very updated, I guess we'll have to live with that

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 07:50 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Phil will answer you Michael, but with the cost of filmstock
these days, I don't think that there are any dealers who are going
to have shelves of titles that won't sell.The days of stockists keeping racks of film (new) are long gone.Notice Steve Osbourne
and the "Capt. America" release which is pre order.The best way to view the lists, are whatever new title catches your eye, the chances
are it will involve a bit of patience, especially if it is a feature.
Hope this helps.

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 07:54 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I understood in these years I've been a customer from CHC, they don't usually have lots of new prints in shop. What happens is that they have the first batch of prints and then, once they have finished them, they order it when needed. Times may be long from ordering, as they need to have at least two orders in order to have a film printed (the lab prints two copies at the same time, it's not possible to have only one printed), but they always give you the print you order from them.
Also Derann, some times, had the same way of proceeding, but Derann usually had a bigger number of prints in stock, so you were able to receive them right after your order was put.

OF course this doesn't match if you want to have a print right after your order, and I understand it may be frustraiting or make you angry, but hey... we're collectors and sometimes you wait years before finding the prints you're looking for, so why not wait for some time after placing an order for a new copy [Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 08:05 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering why 'Shocking Affair' was listed for such a long time, then when I tried for it...gone

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 09:06 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Hugh and Fabrozio:
I do understand your point. BUT how DO I actually know when a wanted print IS available? Phil could point that out on his home page (for example "Pluto's Playmate now ready to order"; or "I will take orders for Pluto's Playmate now). But he doesn't do that. He also doesn't give you a e-mail notice, when a wanted release is ready to buy.
At present it's "hit or miss" with customers asking (most of the time I try it's "miss"), and that is what is frustrating.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 09:32 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or better yet ... Items in stock : 2 (so you know how fast you need to be)

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 10:15 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I agree that it's frustrating but consider that all the copies are "on special order", expecially the ones that have been printed years ago.
On the "News and events" section of CHC website, usually there are the prints that are available, but for all the older ones think that they are out of stock and have to be printed.

Unfortunately it's the problem in collecting rare and costly items

@Vidar: good suggestion, but you should check the website every day or so [Wink]

It would be nice to have a newsletter via email with all the titles available and possible prints for the next quarter

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 10:55 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Best advice I could offer, is to contact Phil and ask if the print is
available now or when it is available.I take the point on old titles
not being deleted when sold,that is frustrating,but bear in mind
that it is a one man show now,as Phil does all this stuff himself,
and with no staff now,it must be a strain.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at least, when it comes to new prints of features, shorts, ect. (and especially with features), these are not printed one at a time, but at least two copies and so, with the investment that it costs to make a feature print in and of itself, Phil (and other possibly existing super 8 producers/distributors), isn't going to inv est in a printof a feature unless ....

the buyer already has cash in hand and has paid in advance. Phil is very good at getting your print to you, though the time to get the print CAN vary.

There's the potential of that other print being able to sale sometimes in the very near future.

I know that the collector would rather that Phil had the brand new print already in stock, (as we are all rather into getting it right now when we have the itch to get it!), but the realities of making brand new prints don't allow for that.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Hugh and Osi:
That's not my point. I am avare of how difficult it is and how big the risk is.
BUT: Communication has to be better! If he WANTS to sell (and he should!), he must communicate. That's what bothers me. Sometimes I wont even get an answer to my request. And if I get one it's often "Sorry, not in stock". Why doesn't he give his customers the option of "find another two or three buyers, and I'll get the requested print ready"?
He does a great and financially risky job in churning out new releases - that can't be praised high enough! But it is a mistery to me how he actually sells them! There is some info on his home page about what can actually be bought. But it's such a mess, you need a guide to get through it.
I know - he does it all by himself. I am actually thinking about a way of being of help with this...

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 01:58 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a couple of years since I last visit Phil's shop, and I think he has made a few changes. DVD's have gone, I bought some 00 gauge models railway stuff, and in the rear was the films, loads of them.

Think about that, film and model trains. PARADISE. (Don't take the wife)

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 02:36 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, sometimes before ordering at Phil older items, I check with some friends collectors if they're interested in buying the same film (and the same they do with me). In a couple of times I ordered more than one copy so to have it re-printed easily
Maybe the forum can be a chance to get such collectors and gather the two copies needed for printing

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 03:47 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just created a blog trying to bring a little clearance into Phils new releases (and hopefully many customers!).
I just sent him an e-mail. Hope he will accept this "little help from a friend"...
Here's the (not yet complete) blog site deicated with gratitude to Phil and his great support of "the hobby": http://chcinema.wordpress.com/

Oh, and hopefully some of you guys can support me too: I need some synopsis on "This is Cinemascope" and "Beer, Fags an Women" for the new site. Please send a few lines by PN or e-mail. Thanks!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 04:51 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

I share your frustration as many times on the phone and at the BFCC, I mentioned to Phil and Denise it would be nice if we could know what titles are in stock and what are not. I cant remember his reply at the time but he has'nt done anything about it. There was a '*' by titles which were in stock but I think this has not been updated recently. Ive bought many shorts from Phil over the last few years (but not recently) and most times Ive been lucky but the situation is probably harder now.

I think the bigger problem now is the the Labs are taking longer to get any super 8 produced. When Phil gets a new batch of titles in Fabrizio is correct that the 'News and Events' page is the best place to look but im puzzled why he hasnt had any prints of Capt America in. Last time I phoned was several weeks ago. Or has he had prints in but thay have all been sold but there was no mention of that.

Michael, Why not come to the BFCC or Blackpool this year and you will see loads of New prints from CHC. Im sure he still has many in stock, just not the titles you want. Look at last years photos. [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

But it would be nice to know whats in stock when looking to buy some new prints.

Graham S

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 19, 2013 11:36 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why not all come to Columbus' CINEVENT

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, re. Captain America I'm also waiting for my copy (I made my order in November when it was advertized on his website) but Phil told me some less than one month ago that he's still waiting for the copies from the lab.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 08:59 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
November??????

C'mon guys, time to give it up.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 20, 2013 09:09 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rob, if I relied only on new releases to continue in this
hobby, I think I would be looking for a new hobby.Thankfully there
are still plenty of secondhand films on all gauges.New film release purchases for me, are stone dead, too costly and too long a wait.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 20, 2013 10:11 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a different world out there. This is no longer a one step process. Prints are so expensive now (anything longer than a trailer) that dealers must wait for confirmed orders before giving the lab the go ahead, which will then schedule a print run when time is available. Many prints are shipped mute and audio is then recorded at another location. Factor in shipping from Germany, where here in the US a box of prints can sit in customs for over a month, and you have an interminable delay in the arrival of your pined for piece of celluloid.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 20, 2013 02:47 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate all the hard work that goes into these releases Doug,
and for a lot of folks,it's well worth the wait for a favourite film.
For me though, I think the initial outlay,coupled with customs
charges (if brought from USA), I won't include postage costs as
someone has to bring it, does tend to jack up the price of the item
which if I'm honest would have to be a very special movie to warrant it, and the movies of the past few years aren't in the
"film I must have" league.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 08:17 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree. I love this hobby, but I don't think I could tie up several hundreds of dollars (US) for what could be 6-8 months or longer on a film print (albeit brand new) and risk that it could be defective upon arrival. Way back when... It was different. Film companies were plentiful and thriving. I tip my hat to anyone willing to print new titles for collectors. There's just too many miles between myself and the vendor(s) for me to feel comfortable with it all.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2013 04:33 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the fact that people are still making the effort with new releases is admirable and to be applauded.

But with such long and uncertain waiting times, together with such high prices, you have to ask whether this is really a sustainable situation.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 21, 2013 04:47 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the years click by you come to appreciate, anything work having is worth waiting for. If we have a few months wait for that extra special delivery from the trade it also makes it that much more exciting when our special new film arrives. Lets be honest, in the 21st century we are lucky to have new releases let alone a shop to walk in and buy projector parts, films and the like. I’m sure everyone will be at Classics next open day as will we once again to support our hobby and our remaining UK dealer with a shop.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 21, 2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we have been a rather insane lot for years, haven't we, paying more than top dollar form what we could get digitally for a fiver?

... and I wouldn't have it any other way. Though I must say, if I want one of the newer releases coming out today, I literally have to get one second hand, as ...

1. Can't afford a brand new feature these days.
2. Lets face it, new prints these days are like cars. You drive it off the lot and it's just dropped a few thousand right there. The same for the new super 8 print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC