8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Do You Want In Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Do You Want In Super 8
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2013 05:19 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a further topic to the Ordering new releases at CHC I wonder what film titles format you would like to see?

• Trailers
  • Advert Reels
  • Abridged version (Capt America)
  • Complete features
  • Shorts
Me I like trailers, adverts reels and shorts. Sadly features may be too expensive for me.
My interest in films is mainly pre 1990's I would like a couple of Ray Harryhausen B/W features though.

Put your thoughts on here.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 22, 2013 05:56 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New prints of Star Wars, Empire, Return, Alien, Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Escape from New York, The Thing (Carpenter's masterpiece) all full features. Oh, yeah, keep dreaming :-)

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 22, 2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from "The Wicker Man", nothing in particular,I think the
film collector has been well served with the titles made available
over the years.The other gauges fill in any gaps.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2013 11:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see some classic digests reprinted. Such as Abbott & Costello, Universal Monsters and classic shorts.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2013 11:47 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Vidar said!!! And an OAR print of The Keep.

If it takes two orders to secure a print, we should have a 'Who wants to go in with me' thread, anyone wanting to order a print could post to see if anyone else wants the 2nd one needed to secure a print.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2013 04:52 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any Hammer Films that have not been previously released. British, American, and German cinema adverts.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top of the list would be the 16mm sound film produced by accomplished film maker Bryan Pearce to celebrate Pathe 9.5mm film. This was screened at last years 9.5 event to rapturous applause and would make an ideal short for super 8 sound. It’s the sort of thing Derann would have had available by now if they were still going and would sell very well due to the film/cine content and fit on a 200ft reel..

The film is called 'Towards Twenty Twenty Two' 9 minutes long and covers the first home movie making gauge right through to digital, ideal for 8mm short release.

[ May 23, 2013, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 06:48 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Keep I would sign up for too :-) Difficult title to find even on DVD's or anything. How awesome would that be? :-)

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 06:55 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would very much like to own as an exerpt the opening 600ft of Saving Private Ryan, it would make a good stand alone if it ended with the troops landing on the beech at Day + 1 after the huge opening battle.

Oscar Iniesta
Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2013 07:24 AM      Profile for Oscar Iniesta   Email Oscar Iniesta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, is a good idea. Is the best scene to be released on a super 8 digest for sure.
It was the last time I saw the audience clapping after the projection.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 12:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! I'd LOVE John Carpenters "The Thing" as well! I know there are many who would disagree, but I think carpenters "Thing" is far superior to the original "Thing" of the 50's

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree there Osi,I have a nice 'scope print of same in 16mm.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 23, 2013 04:05 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - is the intention here to guage demand for films that could actually be proposed as S8 releases? I'm unsure as several of the titles coming up have already been released full length, so no one would put in the investment to fund a negative when most potential customers already have the films in question.

I agree with Hugh about 'The Wicker Man' - even a trailer would be great but it's such a cult film that I think it would even justify a feature release.

Trailers I'd like include 'Prometheus' and 'The Woman In Black'. Previously unreleased Hammer trailers would be welcome, as would some for Amicus films such as 'Tales from the Crypt' and 'The Skull'. I'd also welcome some Hammer comedy trailers like 'On the Buses' and 'Man About the House' and I don't think any trailers for colour Carry On films have appeared on S8, so that would be good too.

And how about some end of an era trailers to some of the last films for which trailers appeared on 35mm - e.g. 'Skyfall'. And similarly an advert reel that's one of the last to be distributed on 35mm. These would become collectors items.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 24, 2013 03:25 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always surprised the 35mm DTS Demonstration film was never released on 8 as once again it was ideal for a 200ft reel and in scope looks and sounds amazing. These films which actually were the last of a kind would make good 8mm releases and be affordable.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2013 02:06 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The post is to see what collectors would like to see released in general, plus the type of films such as trailers, adverts, shorts, cartoon, extracts, or complete features.

For extracts I was thinking along the lines of the old Disney 200ft versions, but perhaps a little longer. Say about 20 minutes, you could get a couple of scenes in that sort of time. Didn't Derann do Terminator 2 The Chase, and a couple of others. Did they sell well though?

Quite a lot of the titles mentioned are also in my thinking. I'm a big Hammer fan, if any cut-downs were to appear, my preferred length is 600ft or 1200ft, which would be 3 reeler and 6 reels, both were very common back in the old days.

Trailer & Advert reels. Not sure what format would be the best. Single trailer or multi trailer reels. Myself multi reels would be better and should be a little cheaper to produce than say four individual reels. How would you like to see trailers. A mix more cinema like, or would themed be better, westerns, musicals, horror. For adverts a mix would I think be best.

Looking at complete features, it seems that most titles can be printed (white box specials).

What would be the minimum number of orders to make a release viable?. Two if 16mm or four if 35mm film. Can super 8 be printed from a projection print, without using a negative?

The expense of a feature would need confirmed orders. The best way would be a none refundable deposit of say £50 held in an independent account at say a lawyers. A refund only if the film was never released or after say one year nothing was forthcoming.

Like Hugh points out other gauges can often fill your missing films, although if I moved up to 35mm I think the headline would read "Wife edits film collector and wraps him up in his films"

I got into 16mm quite a while after I started collecting, and I bought a few of my favourite films (Could be song there)

A one time Derann and Red Fox would release a film if they could get 50 orders.

Really sad that Derann dumped the negatives, I understood they held most negatives from the likes of DCR, POWELL, MOVIELAND, KEN. and a few others too.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2013 02:35 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would buy a decent print of Disney's "Fantasia" - the film as a whole! I find the "Fantasia-Jigsaw" as we got it bit-by-bit from Derann, WDHM and "Classic" very annoying. There is footage missing and print quality is uneven. I hate it!
A full version would be appreciated here!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 24, 2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, you can print Super 8 direct from a 35mm print - and I have a few trailers produced that way - but no distributor has ever done this and they won't consider it viable today. The quality isn't great and even if they could get hold of a printer, I'm unsure if they could get the right stock to use with it. So, a negative is needed, and that obviously means a big outlay with regard to a feature, so I'd guess that at least about 20 prints must be sold. Some of Derann's features were only viable because they had access to and used Rank 16mm negatives produced to print 16mm features. When they used Rank labs, I expect Rank helped them out as they did the printing.

Regarding trailers, I'd be happy to see 2 of the same genre, as on CHC releases, but I don't think varied ones would work as too many people might want one without the others.

As for Hammer digests, the chances of anyone coming up with older 35mm prints that they wouldn't object to being chopped up must be very remote, but I'd love a 600' of 'The Woman In Black'.

Lee - I wondered what the content of the DTS Demonstration film is?

http://www.film-photo.co.uk/

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC