8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig P8 Wien/speed calibrator tool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig P8 Wien/speed calibrator tool
Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2013 06:44 AM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello !
Ive got my self a very fine ex of an Eumig p8 Wien, and what a joy.This maschine runs as smoothly like ive never heard before !
(im in possesion of 9 other machines but none runs as smooth and gentle like my P8)tryly a great simply and well builded machine from the mid 50 s).

1/
My quistion is concerning maitenance(oling)
My manual shows me (with arrows) that spools and housing is to be olied freqeuently,but I cant seem to find the 2 last points on this machine ??????

2/
Does anyone know about a calibrator for testing the frame rate
on 8 mm projectors.
Ive heard about a device called SCREEN CHECK or TEST something like that (measuring the number of flash coming from the projector) but i cant seem to find this item on the internet !!!

I would be very grateful for any help at all corncerning this !

Best wishes

Niels Peter Buch

[ June 08, 2013, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Niels Peter Buch ]

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2013 08:28 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Niels!
1) It seems that there is more than one "generation" of P8; the earlier ones have got the lubrication points, the later ones don't.
2) I would try with a stroboscope. But the thing is that the P8 does not keep the speed - the warmer it gets the faster it goes.

If you have a bit of a mechanical talent, the P8 is not too hard to take apart and put together again. You can put fresh lubrication on all gears easily.
Be aware of the often mentioned fact that the motor is live when operated, so it should never be switched on with the cover open.

--------------------
Alex

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2013 08:47 AM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello alex .
Thank you for your reply.
Now I can understand why I couldnt find these lub. points !
Maybe one day I will take the P8 apart .For now it runs so fine, so I dont find it nescessary .

In termes of the exiding speed ! .......ha ha the machine got a soal !...I like that !

I tried strope lightning with an app on my smart phone , but cant seem to get it right !!!!

Ive heard that Van eck in holland has a speed checker for a cost of 40 euros , dont now if it goes any cheeper than this ?

Best regards
Niels

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

Rob Caspers
Junior

- posted June 12, 2013 04:15 PM      Profile for Rob Caspers   Email Rob Caspers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Niels,
If you want to calibrate the speed of the projector, you first have to know which speed you want to calibrate! If you decide to run your machine at 24 fps, you can prepare a length of blank film of exactly 5 seconds (by counting 120 frames) and splice that into a loop. Then mark ONE frame recognisable and run it through the projector. Then you count the times that that frame comes along during one minute. Should be 12 times exactly. Just the same goes for 16 fps: count 160 frames and splice the end to the front. Running time of the loop: 10 seconds. In ONE minute you have to see the marker-frame SIX times. For calibrating 18 fps: make a loop of 180 frames. You see, the trick is easy, you just need a splicer and a length of spare film...

Greetings from Holland, Rob

--------------------
Iceman52

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2013 05:06 PM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Rob.
Aha ....thats a good trick ! thank you very much.
A cheep simple and alternative one .

Best regards

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2013 06:08 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hej, Niels, rart at se en anden Dansker her! (I am in Washington DC.)

Glad you have a good machine and you are enjoying the hobby with the rest of us, despite the obstacles that sometimes can get in the way.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2013 02:32 PM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hej Claus.
Rart osse at kunne skrive på dansk med en landsmand fra Washington .
Ja jeg hygger mig meget med at få de gamle maskiner til at køre igen. PT. har jeg 9 stk fuldt funktionsdygtige maskiner og nok ikke de sidste jeg får.... ha ha !
Min onkel havde en masse 8mm standard film som jeg kan låne.
Så nu kommer min dejlige gamle Eumig p8 til ære og værdighed igen, og selv 60 år efter den blev lavet, kører den som en drøm.
Ny lampe, drivrem, lidt fedt og olie så snurrer den lystigt .

God weekend

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2013 02:33 PM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ June 13, 2013, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Niels Peter Buch ]

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC