8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Which Elmo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Elmo
Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2013 03:03 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I have been a life long fan of Eumigs and Sankyos but I would like a projector with 1200ft capacity. You read so much about Elmos scratching films that I was wandering which machine is the one to go for? Thanks MIKE

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2013 03:23 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ June 27, 2013, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Roy Neil ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 12, 2013 05:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ST1200HD is a good projector, and if you get a chance to view one take off the back to check inside. It has a rubber drive around its shutter which after time just shreds causing an instant stop.

From what I now know about Super 8 Elmo projectors, ST180, ST600, GS800, ST1200, ST1200HD, GS1200 (I have them all), I couldn't really recommend any of them due to their foibles.

They have all cost me plenty in servicing. but I must admit I do like my SC-18 HiVision.

--------------------
Maurice

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2013 08:54 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice my ST1200HD does not have this rubber
I'm not an expert on Elmo's but I remember reading
That not all were made with this rubber (touch wood)
I have had my ELMO since around 1977 and had no
Problems

--------------------
t.smith

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 12, 2013 10:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas

You may be right, but I am reporting from my own knowledge. I bought an Elmo ST 1200 HD from eBay in July 2007 from a well known British collector. From its description it sounded perfect but straight out the box it gave problems. I first decided to return it to the seller, but then as it looked almost new I decided to have it repaired.

Members may be interested to know what needed attention :-

1) Rollers and springs on head assembly adjusted
2) Flywheel removed and bearing tension nut adjusted
3) Flywheel spring pressure adjusted
4) Claw and cam spring adjusted
5) New belts fitted (including counter)

From then on it ran very well and quietly, until a few weeks ago when it was terribly noisy. This was followed by a crunch and it stopped dead. I took the back off and found that the rubber ring around the shutter was breaking up and some broken bits had already fallen off.

The projector is at present being serviced and I look forward to its return.

--------------------
Maurice

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2013 02:39 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice sorry to hear that, but no my Elmo ST1200HD
Does not have that rubber ring around shutter hope you
Get it back all working again

--------------------
t.smith

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC