8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 800 film transport & projection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 800 film transport & projection
David Webster
Junior

- posted June 23, 2013 03:39 AM      Profile for David Webster   Author's Homepage   Email David Webster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody
I have recently acquired the Sankyo Stereo 800 machine.
It appears to be in mechanical working order, the lamp works, as does the transport mechanism running both ways.
It generally seems to be in pretty good condition all round.
I don’t have every accessory there is available but I simply want to copy some old 8mm & Super 8 film from early Farnborough Air shows onto my PC for editing purposes & I was advised that this was one of the best machines to do it, I am very much a novice on this format.

My problem is this ............. Having downloaded the manual & followed the instructions, I am finding, more often than not, that the film threading mechanism does not appear to run true, resulting in damaged leader & even broken film on one occasion.
This applies to both standard & super 8 film types.
When threading is successful and projection starts I see only half a picture being shown on screen, divided by what appears to be a black bar running across the center of frame.
I also see the film perforations on the left edge as viewed.

I have tried to “TWEAK” the adjustment knobs as per the instructions but to no avail,
I am afraid I will damage my films if I continue along this path.

Is there something I am missing out on, do I have to make some kind of adjustment somewhere in order to accommodate the different types of film format or does this machine do it automatically. Something is not quite right on what is otherwise an apparently very good machine.

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions, HELP PLEASE.
Many thanks

David Webster, Devon UK

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 23, 2013 03:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Are you trying to thread standard 8 films? The Sankyo 800 is a top of the range Super 8 projector. It cannot project standard 8.

It is not the best projector to convert films to video as it can only run at two speeds, for video transfer you really need a projector with variable speed such as a Eumig. This is because you may get strobing.

The framing knob is used to centre the picture, i.e. to get rid of frame lines.

--------------------
Maurice

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2013 07:57 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact you can see perforations when projecting suggests that standard 8 film (with it's larger perforations) is being used on a super 8 machine. It never helps that single 8 in the instructions gets mentioned which confuses a lot of people.
For information here is a link to the manual http://issuu.com/filmmaker8.com/docs/sankyo-stereo-800-instruction-manual

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 23, 2013 03:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Maurice in that the Sankyo 800 although a very nice projector is not the model you want to use for telecine transfers. You should look for a variable speed projector. Does the film you are transferring have sound? If not...I would recommend a dual 8 machine like a Sankyo 1000 or 2000H or the Bell & Howell 10MS. These projectors play both Super 8mm and Regular 8mm films and have variable rheostat speed control so you can sync the projector with your video camera.

http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_sankyo/sankyo_dualux _2000h.htm

http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_bell/bell_11_xj.htm

If your film is Super 8mm sound...I recomend the Bell & Howell 11XJ. This machine has variable speed for picture and sound.

http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_bell/bell_11_xj.htm

These projectors are not top of the line machines...but if in good condition are reliable and more suited for transferring film to video.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

David Webster
Junior

- posted June 23, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for David Webster   Author's Homepage   Email David Webster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again folks.
Firstly, let me say many thanks indeed to you guys who came back to me so quickly with your advice, and sound advice it is.

I had no idea this machine would NOT play standard 8mm, it was sold to me as a dual format machine and it clearly states on the side cover label as “Super8 & Standard8”.
Perhaps I was “had over”, I don’t know.

However, if I am to take this transfer business seriously & professionally then maybe I had better be looking for a dedicated machine that will do the job,
(Anyone have any suggestions) & therefore I may well have a Sankyo Stereo 800 FOR SALE sometime soon.

I have noted all your comments and I am well advised by them.

I intend to try a dedicated Super 8 movie through this machine very soon, I am still recovering from the disappointment of my first attempts albeit with the wrong film format.
I now have to replace some white leader !.
what do I know anyway !! not much as it turns out.

Maybe I should try running it through at the 18fps setting, that might give acceptable results, hopefully, I’ve not done any damage by trying the wrong format of film.

Finally, may I say, however technically minded you think you are, there is always a learning curve, & boy, am I learning fast.
THANKS AGAIN GUYS & watch this space.

Regards to all
David Webster, Devon UK.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 23, 2013 04:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David you can get some good results for personal use from a real time telecine setup...but if you are thinking of doing this on a professional level for profit, you should think about investing in a frame-by-frame system like the units Moviestuff makes.

http://www.moviestuff.tv/equipment.html

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2013 02:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
Here is what you need.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANKYO-DUALUX-2000H-SUPER-STANDARD-8-CINE-PROJECTOR-PERFECT-FOR-VIDEO-TRANSFER-/290936411400?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories& hash=item43bd295508
It's a Buy-It-Now and a good price which includes postage.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2013 03:16 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, Maurice has something there... and it's "local". Contact the seller and go look! If its close enough, I'll happily go with you to assess it (but you shouldn't really go wrong considering the description and Refund Guarantee).
Martin

[ June 24, 2013, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2013 08:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of these Sankyo 2000H projectors and it's a great little machine.

To change from Super 8/Single 8 to Standard 8/Regular 8 just involves sliding a switch. Two lights will indicate what gauge is set.

Just to recap. It is a silent projector and has no provision for sound films.

--------------------
Maurice

David Webster
Junior

- posted June 24, 2013 02:53 PM      Profile for David Webster   Author's Homepage   Email David Webster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice & Martin
Thank you both for your input & suggestions from this mornings forum.

Maurice, I can tell you that as soon as I read your E-Bay link I decided to “take the plunge” and I made purchase of listed machine. What have I done now!!.

Martin, many thanks for your offer to come along and see the machine, however, its done now, the vendor is in Torquay and we have arranged a meeting to deliver.

I know this is NOT a sound track machine, but I also have the 800, so the plan would be to run the film on the 2000H and do the movie capture, then run it through the 800 and take the soundtrack and dubb it onto the movie on the PC, OH YEAH !!

Anyway, I intend to work it out now that I’ve thrown some money at it, and it makes me more enthusiastic and interested to take up the challenge to see what I can do with
all my 8mm films.

Many thanks again to all who took time to get back to me, I will let you all know how I get on with the project.

Regards
David W (Exmouth, Devon UK)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC