8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derrann Films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Derrann Films
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 07:26 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nicely put Lee: I thought all you Derann fans might be interested to hear this story that was told by Derek Simmonds to Movie Maker mag way back in the 70s. Derann used to hire films out as well as sell them; from memory, I think a feature was either £12 or £15, and you got some of that back when the film was returned. One man ordered a film, then claimed it wasn't received, Derann said it had been posted, but the customer insisted it had not been received. As 'The customer is always right', Derann sent out another copy.
What had happened was, Royal Mail found no one at home, so the postman put it in the coal shed (remember these?), he had not left a note saying where the parcel had been left. In the meantime, the homeowner had ordered 10 sacks of coal, which was duly delivered, and it was 3 months before he found his Derann film at the bottom.

|  IP: Logged

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 07:54 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments regarding Derann, where I spent a little over 35 happy years

I must admit to missing the daily dealings with many 'friends' worldwide and would be happy to consider the purchase of any unwanted films, etc.

Until the next time, thanks for the memories and take care

Kindest Regards

Gary Brocklehurst

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 02:18 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary

I certainly miss yourself and Derann...hope all is well [Smile]

Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I am indebted to Derek,who having lost the deal with Columbia,
went out of his way to get me a signed copy (by Ray) of " Jason".
Both men are sadly missed.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 03:38 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, that is certainly some treasure you have there. I was about 9 years old when I saw Jason on the big screen; I think it was Ray's best film. I think it was responsible more than any other film for my interest in movies and FX. My favourite scene was the man of bronze.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 03:59 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the once a parcell from Derann I never received. After the post office searchings didn't succeed, Derek sent me a credit note (I am not sure it's the right expression in English), even if he wasn't responsible for that. Derann always provided a good service and their prints from the last years were excellent.

[ July 02, 2013, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the story Robert related of the parcel under the coal,
features then for hire cost the princely sum of £2.50-£4.50,
depending on if it was colour or B/W.You could buy them from
Derann for between £25-£30.00 for a full length b/w feature, my
first being the "B" horror "The Flesh Eaters", I didn't have a sound
projector to show it on,and had to wait nearly a year before I could
view it.It was only through seeing an ad of Derann's in "8mm Magazine when I left school in '69, that really set me off on the
road to ruin, and I've never regreted a day of it.Thanks to Derek Simmonds, I have many rare titles that never seem to surface
nowadays, albeit in std 8mm sound.

Bob Loehr
Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2015 08:57 AM      Profile for Bob Loehr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ November 17, 2015, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Bob Loehr ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 16, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating Bob, truly fascinating and one I hadn't seen before!
Thanks so much for sharing, I shall now do likewise. [Wink] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2015 02:20 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
As a teenager of about 14 or 15 - I remember my late father taking me to Dudley for one of Derann's open days - even my father was amazed at the product on offer and how packed the shop was. Later when I worked in a 6th College in Birmingham - I often had time to pop across to Dudley and buy a few films while catching up with Duncan, Ged and Garry - very informative guys who would go out of their way to find elusive titles. Happy days and fond memories.

David

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2015 01:41 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess, like me, many of you still keep copies of Derann's monthly sales leaflet. Every now and again I take them out, peruse the titles, and dream. When they arrived I'd sit on the phone pressing the re-dial button until the familiar voices came on and then I'd go through the titles I'd ticked (and could afford) hoping I'd got in first. Almost all my prints came from Derann and when they closed it was like losing a member of the family. They left us with some fantastic stuff. Happy days indeed.

--------------------
Dave

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 22, 2015 06:42 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only had a few problems as well. I was sold a copy of "The Fog" full feature and it was soft. One side was printed out of focus. I checked it on 2 separate machines to be sure and I sent it back and was refunded. I always wondered who ended up with that print!
I ordered Grease scope feature brand new and it arrived with Reel 7 had very bad audio. It was cutting in and out. So I sent it back and got another Reel 7. That one was better but it still had a few spots which were warmly. I guess they had some problems with the stripe. I kept that one.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC