8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S709

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark S709
Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2013 12:11 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to get a Eumig Mark S709 up and running and it's in terrific condition in all regards except the audio plays back sounding like a boat motor...
Before I have it serviced by a tech any thoughts on anything I might try first to troubleshoot?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2013 07:48 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the 709 needs a replacement sound head.
Anyone have one for sale?

Mike McCord
Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2013 08:01 AM      Profile for Mike McCord   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the "motor-boating" sound (hum) is adjustable with the volume control, it is most probably in the direction of a bad sound head.
If the hum is not reduced by the volume control, then look in the direction of bad power supply filter capacitors. This is an old/common problem in the day of radios and TV's built with vacuum tubes.
PM me for more troubleshooting assistance...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 01, 2013 08:20 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee. It could be that the sound pressure pad/pinch roller rocker is not free on its shaft. I had this as they tend to oxidise with age. Check that it is moving freely and smoothly when you turn the control knob for sound. Also well worth cleaning the black rubber pinch roller and silver capstan as you at it.

-

Check 1 is moving freely on its mounting shaft and 2 goes up and down.

Clean 3 with Isopropyl (audio head cleaner) on a cotton bud and also the metal capstain above it by rotating.

Underneath 2 the black swinging mount you will see some other metalwork which also needs to move freely.

Hope this helps.

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2013 02:32 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - All the points you illustrating seem to be acting as they should. Can I assume that points to a bad sound head?

Mike - Sent you a PM.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC