8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Films with cars in… (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Films with cars in…
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 03:12 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In November last year I did a bit of a film show for my car buddies and ran a number of short films, the most popular being “Calum” (which has a great car chase in it with a Range Rover chasing a Jag), Walt Disney’s “Greatest Chases”, and of course the ”Herbie” shorts.

We’re planning to do something similar in the autumn so in preparation I have been keeping an eye open on the Bay for car related material on super 8, in particular 200 and 400ft shorts.

I bought “Thrills and Spills on Wheels” a couple of weeks ago and already have “Duel”, so I was wondering what others there might be out there.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 03:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
How about Walton's 200' "Crazy Motoring"? It's a hoot.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 17, 2013 03:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

"As Time Goes By" and "Men Who Work" are both Austin productions:

Austin Films

They are great vintage Black and White stuff. My favorite between the two is "Men Who Work": it is a look at a day in the life of Austin's Longbridge factory, and a very busy 10 minutes.

"Spirit of Brooklands" is about the Brooklands Motor raceway an its evolution into an aircraft manufacturing center.

If you want to go way old school, there is the Blackhawk silent "Model T, Rise and Fall of the Tin Lizzie", which is basically over before about 1930.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 03:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
I've just looked at my 400' films, how about:-
Smokey and the Bandit - Universal #4246
County Hospital - Walton #A317
The latter is Laurel & Hardy and features Stan's horrendous drive through traffic in his Model T after sitting on a hyperdermic syringe at Olly's bedside in the hospital.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 04:00 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellant suggestions gentlemen, thank you!

Maurice, I think I have Smokey and the Bandit, I might even have County Hospital too! I'd forgotten about them!

Thanks again and keep them coming.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 17, 2013 04:05 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Seven Ups" is a 400 foot digest of that feature, with basically nothing but what the movie is known for: a brutal car chase with early 1970s Pontiacs.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 04:09 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The Seven Ups" is a 400 foot digest of that feature, with basically nothing but what the movie is known for: a brutal car chase with early 1970s Pontiacs.

Perfect! That's going on my list too then!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 04:59 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Carquake aka Canonball! with David Carradine. Exist both as a digest and as a feature from Iver Films. Plenty of cars getting trashed and a huge multi car crash at the end. Cover even boasts: The pile up of the century!

See also: http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000507

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 05:09 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Bullitt on Super8, and I love the car sequences in it.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 05:36 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Disney's Greatest Chases" a nice compilation; all car chase scenes.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 05:49 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definately agree about the "Seven-Ups". The chase scene is slightly edited. It would be nice to have that whole scene by itself, complete with vegatable stands! But its still a great scene for your super 8 screen.

Another good one Mike is "The Car", 400 foot. And theres also "The Blues Brothers" digest, which has LOTS of car footage.

Also, two cartoons that would be GREAT for a car show theme are "Motor Maniacs" and "Susie the Blue Coup", both vintage Disney toons, released by Derann.

Have fun!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 07:10 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Italian Job" & "French Connection".

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on Super 8 digest is a little excerpt called Hurry, Hurry with WC Fields, it has a nifty car chase.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 12:35 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget "Duel" (a 400-footer, I believe) with Dennis Weaver vs. the murderous tanker truck driver.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 04:49 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry Ken 400' with Peter Fonda...great ending!
Demolition Derby Castle 200'... good footage!
Stock Car 500 Castle 200'....I believe Darlington 1960. pretty cool!

Bill [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 02:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry". Yes, what a wonderful end, all the pursuing cars wrecked and off the road.....and then Fonda's comment "nothing can stop us now".....WHAM!!!!!!!

--------------------
Maurice

Moshe Yitzhak
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 03:17 AM      Profile for Moshe Yitzhak   Email Moshe Yitzhak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i do have the feature of CARQUAKE (AKA Cannonball). [Big Grin]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 03:30 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Tarantino once said 'Vanishing Point' inspired his 'Death Proof'. Now I haven't watched 'Vanishing Point' but QT's words carry some weight. Is there a digest, or even a feature, print of Quentin's favorite chase picture?

Moshe Yitzhak
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 03:32 AM      Profile for Moshe Yitzhak   Email Moshe Yitzhak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay, I'll go further, any Tarantino films on S8? Esp. mid 90's?

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 03:35 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moshe, I am tired of your question for S8 prints. For all your WTB I only say WTF! [Big Grin]

Now serious, any news from Bob about 'Aguirre'?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 18, 2013 09:58 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's stay on topic here please.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 10:06 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Doug. Won't repeat this again.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 18, 2013 10:19 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Akshay!

Mike,

Two Castle's come to mind, The Lively Set which features a race and the WC Fields segment from If I Had a Million where he takes a fleet of cars on the road to chase and smash cars belonging to road hogs.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the input fellas, some great titles there, many of which I will be looking to add to my collection before the Autumn.

I'll be looking on Ebay, but might well be putting a Wanted Ad on here for some of the titles soon.

It should be a good show! [Smile]

Thanks again

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2013 08:33 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackhawk's "The Early Days of Motoring" is a good one. And I agree that "The 7 Ups" is great for the big car chase scene. My print of it still has great color.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC