8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WD40 - Yes Or No? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WD40 - Yes Or No?
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2013 07:16 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sewing machine oil should still about.

How about trying your local model railways shop for some oil? The one I bought was in a small hypodermic dispenser, plus its a really fine oil. Maybe OK.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 30, 2013 07:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my sewing machine oil from Hobbycraft.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 30, 2013 08:44 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil Sheard should have stocks, as he also sells model railway tackle.

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most lithium grease is made using mineral oil of some sort and lithium "soap" to thicken it.

if you want a non petroleum based grease that won't attack plastics and won't swell and damage rubber parts, silicone grease is a good alternative. I've found it in the plumbing section of my local big orange building supply store, they sell it for lubricating faucet parts. The silicone lube sold for bedroom use is also useful for lubricating rubber parts, etc, and is sometimes cheaper than the industrial stuff, and readily more available, being sold in most drug stores/pharmacies.

I used to like the 3 in 1 oil for general use (love the smell!), but I found that over time it left a nasty sticky oxidized film behind. A good substitution for this is a quality sewing machine oil or machine tool spindle oil. Usually sold in 1 gallon bottles or 5 gallon pails or bigger, but sometimes available in smaller quantities, though at vastly jacked up prices. I have found now that automotive synthetic oils are sold in many lighter grades now. 0W-20 mobile 1 is a good lube if you need something a little heavier than the standard sewing machine oil which is usually around sae 10 or iso 22.

WD-40 tends to leave a sticky film behind too, so it isn't used much. it's great for using in a milling machine or lathe as a cutting fluid, though, when making parts out of aluminum.

Erik Snel
Junior

- posted November 18, 2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Erik Snel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wd40 is most of the time a disaster for your projector, and mind you: it comes in spray cans so the wd40 will spray trough the entire machine, the film gate to! your films don't like wd40!

the best solution for older machines wich have to be oiled regularly is thin sewing machine oil for the bronze bearings and a thicker ball bearing grease from lets say SKF for the gears and the shutter/claw (do not grease up the claw itself only where it touches the shutter axle)

newer machines claim to be lubricated for life but how long that is depends on how it was used and stored so that's up to you

--------------------
Erik Snel Eumig Expert
ES Filmtechniek

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 18, 2013 05:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would you suggest to do, Erik, for newer projectors ?

--------------------
Dominique

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2013 05:31 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

Been using this for years
Super lube
For old and new projectors

I sell Both on my web site and ship overseas
Or try

Grainger Europe - Grainger Industrial Supply

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease,3 Oz.

Item # 44N719

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease Purpose Grease, 3 oz. Translucent White

Synthetic Oil,7mL

Grainger Item #: 44N749

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2013 06:00 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings fellow film enthusiasts!

I want to get in on the action here with my my question?

I bought a product called "Phonolube" Lubricant made by GC Electronics which was recommended for all the gears. Say's it contains Synthetic Oil & Zinc Oxide which I have been using this product on all my projectors. Is this product safe and Ok to be using on my projectors?

Any information on the subject will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and have a magical day!
RS

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2013 11:47 AM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of thoughts I noticed on this thread:

-Grainger: Unless things have changed, and/or it's different in the UK, they only sell to businesses with a valid license (I have an account with them through my business). They will not sell to "Any Joe" off the street, unless something has changed in the last few months since I was there.

-If Grainger still has the "business only" policy in effect, you can try one of their 'competitors', McMaster-Carr (who will sell to the public). www.mcmaster.com

-Super Lube: I remember using this stuff about 20 years ago, when I was into electric R/C car racing (man, just thinking about it makes me feel old). Point is, you may be able to buy this stuff in a hobby shop, as that's where I got it back then (It used to come in a grey stand up tube (stand upright on it's cap) with the copy "SUPER LUBE" in bold black lettering, with some color bars under it). Not sure if it's still packaged like that, as I am thinking back 20+ years ago. As I said, I don't know if hobby shops still stock it, but it was the preferred lube back then on the gearboxes of the transmissions in the cars.

Hope this helps!

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2013 01:20 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at WD40's website it states that the WD stands for water displacement and that it is a mixture of lubricants and anti corrosion agents. So what harm can it do? I freely admit to using it, especially in those hard to get at places (always wiping away any excess) and have had no adverse effects whatsoever. As for it being detrimental to film base I have tested it on sections of film, again with no detrimental effect and no sign of dissolving the emulsion. The propellant is Co2, so not dangerous and while some of the ingredients may be flammable my experience is that careful use is fine. I also find it great for removing years of collected dirt, dust and grime. Am I wrong?

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2013 08:45 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Terry

BUMP

You must have missed this
Material Safety Data Sheet
WD 40
Theres more check it out

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf
This is just some of it

Emergency Overview:
DANGER! Flammable aerosol. Contents under pressure. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. If swallowed, may be aspirated and cause lung damage. May cause eye irritation. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.
Symptoms of Overexposure:
Inhalation: High concentrations may cause nasal and respiratory irritation and central nervous system effects such as headache, dizziness and nausea. Intentional abuse may be harmful or fatal.
Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.
Eye Contact: Contact may be irritating to eyes. May cause redness and tearing.
Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product is an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death.
Chronic Effects: None expected.
Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Preexisting eye, skin and respiratory conditions may be aggravated by exposure.
Suspected Cancer Agent:
Yes No X Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition
3 - Composition/Information on Ingredients

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

David Singer
Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2013 08:51 PM      Profile for David Singer   Author's Homepage   Email David Singer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David:
Super Lube is still available, I bought a 3 oz. tube from a larger Ace Hardware store (sometimes called "HomeCo") last month. Also comes in an aerosol.

--------------------
David Singer

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 12:33 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Richard. I agree that it is a harmful cocktail to ingest, aspirate,an eye irritant etc etc but I'm sure most any lubricant would have similar consequences if you were to drink it, ingest it, spray it in your eyes or squirt it in the fire, but is there anything wrong with careful use of WD40 as a lubricant? I've beeen using it for years and I'm still around to tell the tale (touch wood)

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
It’s called Grit
Spray a little on your fingers
Rub together and feel it

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2013 08:06 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah - thank you Richard. That puts a different complexion on it altogether. I was not aware of that. Much obliged to you.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 21, 2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I’ve used WD for many a projector job including releasing the thread on the F1 Elmo lens ring in order to clean the inside lenses.

Decent lens cleaning cloths can be got for your opticians.

On vintage Pathe projectors for lubricating I clean the nipple out with a tooth pick as they clog up then a couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil every 6 months with gentle use. For brass gears I use heating engineers high temperature grease.

For electrical switches I use Servisol Super 10 a lubricating switch cleaner.

Best audio head cleaner I have found to be Servisol Video 40 and I also clean rubber rollers with this having used this for years on video & audio heads.

Happy cleaning!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC