8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Advice on projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice on projectors
Craig Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2013 08:46 PM      Profile for Craig Jarvis   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an opportunity to purchase a couple projectors. A Eumig Wien P8 in nice shape and a Eumig Mark 8. The Eumig Wien is just 8mm but in nice shape for $50.00 and the Mark 8 is in nice shape at $140.00 Any advice on these? I realize the P8 is only for 8mm but it looks to be in great shape. Thanks.

--------------------
J. Craig Jarvis
Vital Transfers Canada

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2013 03:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig
My thoughts are that both projectors are over priced unless they are complete with all original bits and pieces including box and instruction book. And, of course, fully working.

The P8 is a nice little projector but is only for Standard 8 (Regular 8), whereas the Mark 8 is a much later projector wilth the added attraction of running both Standard 8 and Super 8 by an exchange of parts. It also has a zoom lens which the P8 may not have.

A word of warning about the dual gauge Eumigs. The complete set of changeable parts are often missing. These are:-

1) Double section gate assembly
2) Two sprockets
3) Adapter for using Super 8 feed spool

The P8 uses a Super 8 spool for the take-up, it will not accept a Standard 8 spool.

--------------------
Maurice

Craig Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2013 10:52 AM      Profile for Craig Jarvis   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice. They are both complete and in excellent shape. The mark 8 has original box and manual. The P8 has no box but original manual and was owned by an older man and used little. Odd that a 8mm projector has only fittings for super 8 take up reel?? Odd. I'd like both but I guess if I could only afford one I should go with the Mark 8 as it does both.

--------------------
J. Craig Jarvis
Vital Transfers Canada

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2013 10:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig
I agree with this decision.
If the take-up spindle was Standard 8 fitting there would be one more change-over part to go missing.
As it is a lot of second-hand dual gauge Eumigs quite often have the feed spool adapter missing, the actual shaft being for Standard 8.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2013 09:41 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Maurice was mistaken about the P8 take- up spindle being super 8. He meant to say the Mark 8 has it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2013 10:40 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry
You are quite right. I meant to say Mark 8. I humbly bow to all of you.

--------------------
Maurice

Craig Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2013 01:13 PM      Profile for Craig Jarvis   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I assumed he meant the Mark 8 as the 8mm would have no use for it. I decided to go the with the Eumig Mark 8. It looked solid and was both. It does have the sprockets and gates I believe tucked inside the lamp housing. It had the poly inserts as well. Now all I need is a projector with sound. I found an Elmo ST-180E in average shape. It works but I kinda think it may need work soon. $80, I offered him $60 and he said okay. Didn't get it yet. Good deal?

--------------------
J. Craig Jarvis
Vital Transfers Canada

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 05, 2013 02:45 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal!

Craig Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2013 12:27 PM      Profile for Craig Jarvis   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I should maybe take a chance on the Elmo ST-180E?

--------------------
J. Craig Jarvis
Vital Transfers Canada

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 08, 2013 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be in a minority, but I am not a fan of Super 8 Elmo projectors. It's because of their forward facing sound head which, as the film has to curve against its natural curve, there can be problems with the loop below the gate and the sound "shute".

This design is so that quite a few models can also have an optical sound head, something quite favoured in Japan, but optical films have not had a fantastic following outside that country.

I suggest looking for a Sankyo.

--------------------
Maurice

Craig Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2013 09:38 PM      Profile for Craig Jarvis   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the lure of the Elmo is it's price of $60. That and I can't find much for Sankyo's around anywhere. Ebay but the cost is huge.

--------------------
J. Craig Jarvis
Vital Transfers Canada

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC