8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fantasia releases

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fantasia releases
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2013 05:09 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!

I know that Disney released Sorcerer's Apprentice as a 200' reel (which I have yet to find- anyone have one they wish to part with?)

I also have Dance of the Hours from Germany (I believe) and an extra long trailer.

Were there any other sequences released from this picture?

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 05:17 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHC has it
BD 81 SORCERORS APPRENTICE ORIGINAL SPECIAL BOX £16

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 06, 2013 05:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann had these extracts:

The Nutcracker
Toccata and Fugue
Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria
Pastoral Symphony (broken into part #1:200 Ft. and part 2:400 Ft.)
Dance of the Hours
The Rites of Spring

CHC (I think) had "Clair de Lune" which was originally in Fantasia but cut out before it premiered. I have a print and would describe it as the weakest link among the ones that did make it in.

Derann also had Fantasia 2000 feature length. They sold it on a reel at a time basis and had they stayed in business long enough I was going to do this.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 05:27 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHC has it
BD 81 SORCERORS APPRENTICE ORIGINAL SPECIAL BOX £16

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2013 09:18 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, when you say 'Fantasia 2000' was released "a reel at a time", do you mean to say Derann sold each segment separately? This would mean the feature print would have to be formed by splicing together all segments.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 07, 2013 10:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

A while ago I had a job where they claimed they watched our internet usage very closely, so I copied Derann's new film lists into a Word document to keep within the letter of the law while at work and still have a little "film time" when the job was less than great.

-A side effect is I still have them!

Here's what it said for "Fantasia 2000":

"FANTASIA 2000 4 x 600`. Stereo. Parts available separately. Price Code Q"

I take this to mean you could ask for reels one through four and buy each whenever you wanted.

You combine this with their "6 months no interest" and it's the makings of a pretty enjoyable year and a half! (-other six months: just payments...)

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2013 10:35 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! I understand you now. Your reasoning makes sense to me.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 07, 2013 10:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-best laid plans, though...

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 08, 2013 12:06 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another couple of extracts on Super8 to look out for, are the Fantasia trl, which in itself is quite long and the Soundtrack demo which is good one as well.

I always thought about getting the extract from "Fantasia 2000" that included Sorcerer's Apprentice...but never happened [Frown]

Graham.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 08, 2013 07:38 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham - if it's any consolation, the drawback would have been that you would have got the bluish 'version' of The Sorcerer's Apprentice, plus I believe there was some cropping to the top and bottom to fit the widescreen format of the rest of the film.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2013 10:27 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken Sorceror's Apprentice was presented with black on the sides so there is no cropping. Your best bet is to get a LPP copy in 16mm. I have one and it is super. I also have Dance of the Hours from Derann in super 8mm. The Picolo version has a slight edit.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 08, 2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Five Fantasia Reviews from this Forum:

Fantasia 2000

Night on Bald Mountain

Nutcracker Suite

Pastoral Symphony

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice

Even back in the "golden age" of Super-8 you'd be lucky to have a resource like this!

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 11, 2013 09:59 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry - come to think of it, I'm sure you're right regarding the Sorcerors Apprentice in Fantasia 2000.

I wonder what a 16mm print has in the way of titles - are they different to the ones produced for the Super 8 WDHM release?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2013 11:42 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dinosaur sequence is available on 16mm called World is Born, however it has narration along with the music but is complete. Derann's is missing the creation of earth and where the molten lava bursting. Starts with the dinosaurs. There is a compilation on 16mm that has the excised black centaur from Pastoral but is extremely rare. Forget the name of the film. Had a faded print but must have been a later version since it didn't have that scene.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2013 11:43 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dinosaur sequence is available on 16mm called World is Born, however it has narration along with the music but is complete. Derann's is missing the creation of earth and where the molten lava bursting. Starts with the dinosaurs. There is a compilation on 16mm that has the excised black centaur from Pastoral but is extremely rare. Forget the name of the film. Had a faded print but must have been a later version since it didn't have that scene.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2013 08:59 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know why Derann abridged The Rites of Spring?

Did they just cut out an entire movement of the piece or does it just start abruptly?

(I actually never bought this one because it isn't complete.)

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 10:09 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann had a policy where you could buy maximum two features
and pay for them over 3-6 months. I have done this many times
with them.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a very RARE version and incredibly hard to find.

In Italy, there were two versions of "Fantasia" released, 6X600ft (a very thick eastman stock was used), which was the whole film with the narraration included ...

... and a VERY rare 4X400ft version. This one was from a rare RKO 1942 release print and was the shortened version that RKO put out a year or so after Disney's original run of the film. Some or all of the musical numbers are slightly edited, (though, if you had never heard their original form, you'd never notice the differences, it was a good edit overall), without the Deems Taylor nararration ...

... but what makes it incredibly rare is that it has all the pre-censorship footage, which means you get the black servant "centuarettes" serving the white "centuarettes" (that's probably mis-spelled) in the "pastoral symphony" segment, as well as the few others shots that they are in. Obviously, that would be considered politically incorrect these days and this footage didn't stay in the feature for very long, judging by the re-issue cuts of the film.

The funny thing is that for the last 15 years or so, Disney has been re-releasing this film is the "complete original restored film" which it is not.

You can tell where the footage is at. have you ever noticed a certain shot or two during the pastoral symphony, where this is a close-up of a centuarette doing her nails (I believe) and the image is suddenly very grainy? mIt's because they came in real close on that shot and got rid of the other centuarette at her feet.

This print is very hard to find and even worse, was printed on Eastman film stock before LPP, so all the prints will have various states of fade (mine is passable, but a little faded), unless you are incredibly lucky.

Here's link to a you tube video showing much of it, but the black centuarette was also shown a little later on as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdi3zX9DKm8

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this odd couple of seconds in Pastoral Symphony where the centaurs pass by some foliage and all of a sudden the "foliage" starts to move along with them.

I've always wondered if they found footage with the "centaurette" they couldn't quite get rid of and keep the scenes looking right and this was how they covered her up.

There are still two of them attending Bachus in the beginning of the next movement. (Probably too hard to cut them out!)

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 01:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now this IS the strange thing Steve, your right, but those two black centuarettes are statuesque and human looking. The other one that is cut out has the "slave" look to her, with pig tailed hair and all. Perhaps the other two were deemed "respectful" enuf!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC