8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Standard 8mm or Regular8 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Standard 8mm or Regular8
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 09, 2013 07:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there many of our forum members still collecting in this gauge
in silent or sound?

|  IP: Logged

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2013 07:06 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh, I just bought a EUMIG Mark S standard 8mm projector and finally got it to work. I have just a couple of films in standard 8mm, but I am interested in starting a collection. I already own several super 8 machines and 16mm, needless to say I would also love to have a portable 35mm projector.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2013 07:35 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Standard 8mm and have many features and shorts in this gauge and still collect this format to this day. My favorite projector so far for projection is the Kodak Analyst 8mm, runner up is the Bolex M8. Long live 8mm!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 09, 2013 07:43 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I got some new titles ... Will see through during the weekend if I have the time. I use an Eumig Mark-S 710D

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2013 07:48 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have quite a few regular 8mm films. However, I don't have very many sound ones, seems like I don't run across them very often.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 09, 2013 08:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love standard 8mm. I love the super high quality, all metal, standard 8mm projectors and cameras made by Bolex and Bell & Howell. I love double run 8mm camera film.
I think a good case can be made that super 8mm was unnecessary, and that it added nothing that would not have been achieved with standard 8mm. Fairchild already had a double 8mm magnetic sound camera in 1963! Certainly super 8 was a step backward in terms of the plastic Kodak cartridge - far inferior to the double run 8mm film which utilised precision metal camera gates. What were Kodak thinking?
When all the super 8 plastic projectors and cameras have fallen by the wayside, the 8mm metal cameras and projectors will still be running like new.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2013 11:43 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too like collecting standard 8, I have a few projectors that are easy to fix as it is usually the lamp or belts to look at when trouble strikes.

I recently aquired an Elmo Standard8 sound projector and have slowly been building up a collection of films, true there arn't alot around but I still have managed to get about 10 over the last few months!

But also like Super8 and 16mm and one day hopefully I will move into the 35mm guage [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 10, 2013 01:08 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like (and have films and material in) double 8, super 8, 9,5 and 16 mm. The only gauge for which I have no camera and thus never shoot in is 16mm.

--------------------
Dominique

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2013 01:40 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spare a thought for me. I have had 'The Devil Doll' on Standard 8mm for two years but haven't watched it yet. Still searching for an 8mm sound projector.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 10, 2013 04:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never collected on Standard 8, only Super 8 and 16mm.

For any members wishing to add Standard 8 films to their collection be advised that Independent 8 always have plenty of titles on offer.

--------------------
Maurice

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2013 05:14 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went into Std8 about ten yrs ago & still collect it; some titles or subjects are just impossible to find in other guages! [Wink]

--------------------
Yannis

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2013 07:36 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to say just the same.Some of the rarest titles in my collection are in std 8 and have not been issued in super,although in 16 mm you can find practically everything.But if you have decided to stay with 8 mm, for reasons of space,wallet size and personal sanity,and especially if you are looking for "older stuff", std 8 is a must!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 10, 2013 08:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh
I think you should alter the heading, as it is it reads as one versus the other.
I suggest "Standard/Regular 8".

--------------------
Maurice

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 11, 2013 09:13 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've picked up some great Standard 8mm sound features at the CineSea conventions, among them Psycho and The Night Caller. I also got a hold of a very nice Eumig Mark S 810D from John Capazzo.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a number of Std 8mm films in my collection including many that are rare on any guage. ie "Storm over Asia" full length feature, plus some kodak amber prints. One title is a silent British feature from 1928 that was never released to the cinemas as the coming of sound overtook it. Instead there was a sound remake with many of the same cast. So the silent version was never released in any medium apart from std 8 as far as I can discover. There is also a wealth of home movies on the guage.

Many of the silent shorts found on Std 8mm are in fact superior in quality to Super 8mm copies made years later when the masters were in poorer condition and the print stock had less silver and therefore less tonal range.

Sadly getting a projector with the light output of Super 8mm machines to get the best from the format is difficult.My silent machine is a Bolex M8 which has a converted light source (24v 250w) which coupled with a HiFi 12.5mm lens gives me a picture that rivals the best super 8mm light output.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2013 02:23 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have about 30 Blackhawk railroad films and 75% of them are standard 8 silent. I also have many 200' digests of Ken/Castle/etc. in standard 8. A few sound titles as well. I love standard 8.

Back in 2010 I shot about 10 rolls of standard 8 Kodachrome of my son and his car projects and the footage is just beautiful. I had been setting on it and the developing deadline forced me to use it up! It will be a nice keepsake for my son to look back on. And years from now it will still look beautiful.

Bill [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 11, 2013 02:34 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to know from all contributors that the old bootlace still lives
on.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 11, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have more R8 titles than S8. Several Helen Holmes railroad features, Tom Mix, Buster Keaton, Chaplin,various cartoons, A&B, and a couple Syfy. Most are silent...but a few with sound. I enjoy them all.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2013 04:07 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I would love to know the title of the std8 silent 1928 feature, that you own.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 05:48 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Std 8 was the norm, I actively hunt for the sound and silent subjects, they were so sharp and clean, yes? - Taking nothing aways from Super 8 - call it regular, standard or single, I find this gauge particularly intriguing because all the rarest films were printed on this since it's 1932 inception - The search is ever-fascinating - Shorty

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 05:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe
Single?

--------------------
Maurice

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2013 07:21 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my rarest titles for sure are in 8mm. A few of Lon Chaney, The Monster, The Unholy Three, He Who Gets Slapped, and West Of Zanzibar. Here are some other features too. Witchcraft Through the Ages, The Goose Woman, Dr. Mabuse, America, The Kid Brother, Ectasy, Tabu, Golem. I generally have to agree with what others have said, 8mm, can be sharper, and have better focus too.

More than not my 8mm features are some of the best in my collection, and can hold up against anything I've seen on 16mm. For those of you who haven't given 8mm a try, I would suggest doing so.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 08:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good news with Standard 8 is that so many features made it onto the gauge and probably well over 500 at that. My favourite has always been Ghost of Frankenstein along with The Invisible Man which are very good quality prints and worth looking out for. Once again Derann spearheaded the UK Std 8 feature scene with the legendary hire library along with many others back in the 60’s and beyond with many memorable films lining the pages.

Full length features like..
Island of Terror
Orders are Orders
Magnificent Obsession
Monster Maker
Touch of Evil
Brief Encounter
Night Caller
Beast from haunted cave
Blue Skies
Psycho
Devil Doll

Were all popular rentals back in the day. [Cool]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 08:16 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget "Hercules" Lee, and "Ulysses", "Evil of Frankenstein",
"Something Creeping in the Dark", "Night of the Damned","The
Projected Man","To Hell & Back", all in glorious colour, std 8mm
features of course.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 03:02 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, single - British term

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC