8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Copy Quality Tips

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Copy Quality Tips
Bob DeMartino
Junior

- posted August 19, 2013 07:33 PM      Profile for Bob DeMartino   Email Bob DeMartino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started to experiment with capturing a digital image of some 8mm film. My setup includes a Chinon Whisper 8mm Projector, a Sony Handycam camera and a laptop with download hardware and software.
My initial try was to project on the wall and position the video camera to capture that. It did work but the quality needs to be improved. So I can use some tips on ways to do this. Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Mike McCord
Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2013 08:37 PM      Profile for Mike McCord   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to my newest addiction. About three months ago I become interested in this "hobby". Search google as well as this forum for "telecine". There is plenty of info out there to read. I find new stuff almost every day. I currently am "playing" with one of the (black plastic) telecine boxes found on ebay. I have not perfected anything, yet. I have discovered many many things that do not work well (for me), yet. Projector speed, lamp brightness, distance, camera white balance, focus, distance, zoom, are just a few of the things to work with. Then, just as you nail a working process down, you change to a different reel of film, and find that this just aint so good after all.

After the capture to digital, there are a few pieces of software available to remove noise, crop, adjust colors, etc. And again, what worked on the last reel may not do any good on the next reel...

This is really fun, but certainly not for the impatient or weak. If you want a challenge, stick to this. If you want a stable - predictable hobby then try cross stich...

Perhaps over the upcoming weeks, we can exchange ideas, and also receive some sound advice from the "forum elders".

Good luck!

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2013 12:09 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

Make sure your camera is set to 24fps and that you white balance on the lamp as it's running without film. Use a white screen for color film and a silver screen for black and white. The next step is to keep adjusting all of the levels until you find a sweet spot that works for you.

But essentially, you will have to adjust the gain and color temperatures for almost every film you telecine depending on how light or dark the print is and how bright your projector lamp is plus, lens that you use. The dimmer the lamp or slower lens (1.3-1.6) the more gain you will need, which will muddy the picture. The faster lens, (1.0-1.2) with the addition of a bright lamp will give the best result.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC