8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » FilmGuard to protect S.8 film (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FilmGuard to protect S.8 film
Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2013 12:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Being an 8mm collector, yes you CAN get all of the benefits, but what people tend to do is they apply it FAR too liberally, like you would with normal cleaners (such as trichlourethane based)...
Thanks for your posts in this thread, Brad, which I've also found helpful.

Without a Kelmar or Film-O-Clean, I think the trick is being able to tell when there's actually enough going onto the film. When you wet that thick cloth and get started, it's really obvious that the film is being wetted until you get further into the reel. Methinks the film is still getting an adequate amount of solution even for a while after it becomes less than wet-looking.

On a slightly different tact, anyone have any information about sealing films treated with FilmGuard or FilmRenew with a Kodak/FPC molecular sieve? Will the remaining vapors from the solvent wipe out any benefit from the sieve, or are the vapors inert to the ingredients of silica, sodium oxide, aluminum oxide, and magnesium oxide (that data is available at this link)?

That would be pretty sweet if the treatment didn't interfere with the absorbtion of acetic acid.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2013 08:08 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have been using wayyy too much, I also use a film-o-clean and it works pretty well, especially for wetgate, but doesn't clean the film anywhere near as much as applcation via a cloth.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted September 13, 2013 01:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, most people put more pressure on the film when cleaning with a cloth by hand. That's the difference you see. That being said, it is always a good idea to clean lightly the first pass before wiping a second time with higher pressure.

Bill, FilmGuard will not prevent the molocular sieves from working properly. It doesn't actually seal the film like some other film cleaners and treatments do.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2013 12:12 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good news, Brad, really it's a win-win. Of course the other possibility is that the solvent vapors would flood the sieves, but sounds then like they don't react. Very cool. Thank you again.

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2013 12:11 AM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's probably not the recommended application method, but I managed to do just fine running my film from spool to spool directly with super 8 applying it with a couple pieces of the cleaning pad for a 35mm machine cut into squares, lightly saturated with film guard, and folded over the film as it passed from reel to reel without being feed through the rest of the projector. as if one were rewinding, but instead running it from the film spool directly to the takeup spool.

I made it a little too wet on purpose the first time through, and didn't use much pressure, then rewound the film and used the pad folded the other way on the way back through. I was able to move the pad around and use different parts of it, so any dirt buildup wouldn't be dragged across the whole film.

Prints I tried this on looked much better than before, and the mechanism in the projector is staying much cleaner than before, with almost no shedding in the gate or elsewhere. I'd love to get one of those automatic lubricators that are on offer, but it's out of the budget at the moment.

I think one should be careful doing this by hand, but it isn't rocket science to apply it either. Even when I overdid it a bit, i didn't notice streaking or spotting on projection. good stuff!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2013 11:08 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good technique to me, Jon.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2013 12:16 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FilmGuard makes my prints look great like the pictures but it also when applied takes the dirt off of scratch emulsion .Where on viewing a print there was no green scratch the FG made it visible.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC