8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 810 question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 810 question
Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
This projectors a real beauty,I picked it up on ebay recently.Film plays great through it. I love the easy film gate access. The only problem I have encountered was sometimes when threading, the leader gets eaten and scrunched up at the top.(Im holding down the button correctly). I have to then trim it then it works.does anybody know why this occurs? Is the film end not trimmed right?

This is the super 8 model only version

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 22, 2013 01:52 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attach approximately 20 inches of thick white leader to your films, and use the supplied trimmer to prepare the leader for auto-thread.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 22, 2013 03:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, these Eumigs are very good quality and very quite running, my Brother swears by his Eumigs, when we had this problem we found in the system a very tiny piece of broken film which caused a block, yet sometimes it was fine, check it right through,& of course before you ever pull the gate/pressure out ALWAYS remember to turn the focus knog so the lens is as far out as poss and most important make sure the white dot is at the top on that milled knob at the rear, in our very early days of the mid 70s we forgot the white dot and broke the shutter claw off [Frown] [Wink]

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2013 04:13 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian -- My 810D has corrugated a couple of films. [Mad] WHO'S ON FIRST [Mad] Chewed up the first 30 seconds and the film path is cleaned before every use. As Maurice suggested I now have 2 ft. leaders. This 810D has a "red" dot. It also has a small crack so a new one is needed. But I too really
like this machine, has pretty good sound. and is used only for 8mm. Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2013 09:13 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the cutter did not come with the projector nor the take up reel. I had to download the manual. Thanks for the info on the red dot. Would another projector cutter work?

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2013 09:48 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, it's a great machine and hope you get more comfortable with its foibles with more practice. The cutter that originally came with the machine cuts straight across most of the film width in between holes, but bevels off the millimeter close to each edge. You could easily do that with scissors. That shape is helpful to proper threading.

One more issue that may prove to be more significant is how much curl the leader has. It's CRITICAL not to have too much or too little. I've chewed lots of leader in the past but once I got this right the problems eased up. My 810 seems to be particularly sensitive to wrong curl disrupting the load-up path, so I'm assuming others are the same. So run the end of the leader against a sharp edge of the table or something to get a nice gentle amount - not straight, definitely not OK for reverse curl, and not a sharp curl like it came off a 50' reel.

Another great boon for that projector is to get an f1.2 or faster lens for a brighter picture, plus if you get an Osram HLX Xenophot replacement bulb, it will be a little brighter too.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2013 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Eumig takes the semicircular Elmo cut just fine, so all of my films get that one.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 03:24 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should have a built-in cutter, placed right over the elevetion foot: look for a tiny, slim opening in that area: that's the cutter. The cut must be performed in order to fall inbetween sprockets.

--------------------
Maurizio

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 23, 2013 03:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first version of the 810 did not have a internal film end trimmer these were fitted on late models only.

Brian I may have a spare Eumig film trimmer which I can give to you from the sunny UK. I would only ask you to cover standard international postage. PM me if its of help to you.
I also have the better Eumig F1.2 lens for sale for your machine.
[Cool]
You will find the standard 810 projects a very steady picture due to the twin claws fitted.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 04:27 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok pm you

I feel it would be a great help to get these trimmers.

yeah, I like the way the claws are positioned. I get a very steady picture and very quiet. Sound is amazing,I played French Connection 400 footer and the sound was booming during the chase sequence.

The projector did not come with a bulb so I bought one of those osram bulbs for brighter picture.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 09:17 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow, did i get the colour wrong on the dot? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 10:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The white dot on the inching knob appeared on later models.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 11:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its white on my Brothers and that one was purchased is Feb 1973

Erik Snel
Junior

- posted November 14, 2013 04:30 PM      Profile for Erik Snel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not all of the projectors that eumig build have the cutter, but i always use my leatherman scissors. As long as you cut between the perforations and than chamfer the edges it allways works fine

--------------------
Erik Snel Eumig Expert
ES Filmtechniek

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC