8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My film buyers from Ebay 90% are not recognized, what about you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My film buyers from Ebay 90% are not recognized, what about you?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 09:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum is known as the largest 8mm film forum in this global web.

I have been here for 10 years so I knew each one of you.

Before leaving Canada for Indonesia last June, I was actively selling my extras both projectors and films. I have made a lot of money from this activity.

Yes, as in the other thread says "people tend to buy film without researching what is the fair price for it". For example, I sold a 3x400' of Star Trek series which was clearly stated had faded badly for $175. And for 400', I sold those usual digests normally above $20.

Now, my curiosity is that 90% of those buyers were new persons for me. None of them was joining this forum, except the rest 10%.

I am not really a big seller, only casual ones, but some of you are actively Ebay sellers.

Did you find the same experience with me?

If so, then the 8mm community is actually larger than we thought. I can say might be tripled.

Your thought?

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2013 04:11 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably is much bigger Winbert; I have only been on here a few months, but I signed up to two other forums about 5 years ago, mainly for advice on projectors. I rarely used the forums as I was fully occupied on other matters.

A lot of people will just collect films for their own viewing pleasure, they don't necessarily want to spend time discussing it with other people.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2013 05:57 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly we are not that much...i note that a lot of 16mm and 8mm
film buyers are just people that want the soundtrack of the film to make a digital syncro copy on digital and put it rigth on youtube or similar resting value to all our prints..for that reason in the last two years i only sell to film collectors and i think everyone here must do the same ,its sad to see as a i saw prints binned after some buyer take the sound just to share on the internet and make popularity on facebook,youtube etc..especially on europe on disney prints and classic movies,they take the german,italian or spanish classic dubbed sound to put in on the new releases of blue ray or dvd that has a new redubbed sound that people dont like and sell on the net or elsewere.I hate when that happens.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2013 05:58 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly we are not that much...i note that a lot of 16mm and 8mm
film buyers are just people that want the soundtrack of the film to make a digital syncro copy on digital and put it rigth on youtube or similar resting value to all our prints..for that reason in the last two years i only sell to film collectors and i think everyone here must do the same ,its sad to see as a i saw prints binned after some buyer take the sound just to share on the internet and make popularity on facebook,youtube etc..especially on europe on disney prints and classic movies,they take the german,italian or spanish classic dubbed sound to put in on the new releases of blue ray or dvd that has a new redubbed sound that people dont like and sell on the net or elsewere.I hate when that happens.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 06, 2013 06:28 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, there are also people who don't understand English and people who don't (or seldom) use internet.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 06, 2013 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are over 3,000 of us on here now, but how many really active? Maybe 100 or so. I bet there are actually a lot of people registered on this forum who not only don't we know, but may not even remember joining themselves. You may be meeting quite a few of these.

Can you imagine the chaos if everyone posted every day?

I've recommended this Forum and CineSea to a couple of people I've bought from on E-bay. (I'm not usually a seller.)

On the other hand it's not rare when I win an auction to have the seller's E-mail come back "Hi Steve!, I'm....."

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2013 06:44 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that if some people were only buying a film to get the soundtrack for posting on Youtube or adding to DVDs, then afterwards they would try to regain their money by advertising it for sale.

I had a Facebook friend (I forget his name, as I closed the page a few years ago), he was a cine enthusiast, worked as a journalist writing reviews of the theatre. He was in regular contact with Warton Parfitt, who some on here would have known. This man was very enthusiastic about pre-war GB 16mm projectors, and had one converted to quartz. He told me that he would never buy a film without inspecting it first, so Ebay was a no go area.
I think he attended the BFCC conventions, but he is not a member of any forum that I am aware of.

[ September 06, 2013, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Robert Crewdson ]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2013 04:34 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of at least a dozen collectors in Scandinavia who haven't bothered learning themselves to use the internet. There's a good chance that you have loads of pensioners in the UK and US who have their sons or something doing the eBay shopping for them [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that there are a lot of super 8mm collector's since the movie SUPER 8 . And I have been collecting since it all started about 40 years or more. And ebay has let collectors know where to get films and that open a lot of doors.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 08, 2013 09:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert, there are also people who don't understand English
Dominique, most of my buyers were from English speaking countries. Non-English speakers are very seldom to buy films not in their language.

Christian,

I have even had sent two Norwegian buyers and they were not in this forum.

So my question is still, did you also face the same cases (i.e selling mostly to new persons or not joining any forum), or it is only me.

--------------------
Winbert

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 01:11 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warton Parfitt died three years ago.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 09, 2013 05:13 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I mentionned the fact that many people don't speak English to point out that there are many enthousiats who didn't join the forum for this reason, I didn't make any link with the E bay buyers you know. I think that it must be very difficult to know how many people in the world are involved (collecting, showing, shooting...) with home movie.

--------------------
Dominique

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 09, 2013 05:48 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope alot of them see these messages and will patronize CINESEA, so it can escalate into more viewings, panel discussions and major buy/sell/trade activities, even auctions - I feel local newspaper ads in the Wildwood area might boost circulation, Shorty

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 10:28 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally very rarely sell films, as I mostly buy only the prints I really want. On the occasions I have sold thing, they have been about 50-50 split between forumers and non-forumers.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC