8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Disney 'The Band Concert' Praxinoscope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney 'The Band Concert' Praxinoscope
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 18, 2013 02:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure most collectors are familiar with the wonderful 200ft Disney release of 'The Band Concert'. Well my wife and I were in a Hallmark Store the other day, and this wonderful Christmas tree ornament caught my eye. It is a beautiful working Praxinoscope which has Mickey Mouse conducting from his podium, complete with the music from the film. The drum is internally lit from a very bright LED light, so Mickey's movement, reflected off the crytal clear rotating glass prism, is wonderfully bright and clear.
A beautiful little movie toy, which works and looks great, and is a wonderful display souvenir of the film.
My wife bought me one for my Birthday! [Smile]
Price $34.95 at Hallmark.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 18, 2013 02:57 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is available also on eBay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hallmark-Magic-Ornament-2013-The-Band-Concert-Disneys-Mickey-Mouse-QXD6095-/370854716981?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5658a9e635

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 18, 2013 08:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

That's really neat [Cool]

Graham [Smile]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 05:23 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great present for those interested in the history of motion pictures.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 09:10 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you can see from the picture, the outside of the drum also has many still frames from the film surrounded by a sprocket hole border.
The Praxinoscope is of course one of the many Victorian era motion toys which were popular before the invention of true motion pictures. You can see Robert Donat twirling one in the film The Magic Box as he ponders how to photograph movement. It is a significant improvement on the similar Zoetrope, which was viewed through narrow slits on the drum and thus produced a very dim image. The praxinoscope reflects the picture off the inner surface of the drum via a rotating prism mirror, and produces a very bright clear image. This particular one, which has a bright LED light shining on the drum, is beautifully sharp and clear.
I have mine on display on a shelf in my screening room alongside the box of the 200ft Disney print of The Band Concert . Every time I go past it I can't resist giving it a twirl! [Smile]

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC