8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex P3 light meter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex P3 light meter
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2013 05:25 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bolex P3 that had a defect to the motor shaft, did not allow the single-frame-shot because you do not "stretched" at best; by inserting a small spacer.
Then, i solved a non-optimal contact between the batteries and the power zoom batteries contacts; now it works fine.

I'am left with only the problem of the exposure broken, despite having tried both with a zinc air battery with "official" adapter, both with a Wein 1.35v and improvised adapter, type foil, etc.. I also tried to open the camera and replace the small bottom of the battery compartment (taken from another P3) re-soldering the wires to the pond, and i changed upon the little chip that it's attached to the battery leads (but should not be the cell of exposure, but another thing), also took this from another P3.
Nothing, needle don't move, stopped.
Surely in this forum ther are an experts in mechanical of Bolex, ask for help, even if i use an external Sekonic, i'd like to use the internal lightmeter.
Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 24, 2013 04:50 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolex still exists. They have an Internet site with a e-mail address. Maybe you can ask them some advise (and in Italian as they are located in Switzerland). The only risk is that they answer (and they probably will) that they have to see your machine but as an e-mail doesn't cost anything...

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 06:59 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had already written, unfortunately they told me that no more support for P3. [Frown]
There is also a famous repairman here in Italy, in Rome, but he saids he prefers not to assistance on regular 8. [Frown]

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 07:07 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the United States there are Bolex repairers, but an intercontinental shipping for a one problem only (would do a whole review, useful, but at the moment i can't help it) does no indispensable for my camera.
Is it possible that all holders of the Bolex have the light meter intact?

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2013 04:24 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, the holders of Bolex P series are so many, does anyone know if there is technical support in Europe? Does anyone know anything?

Phil Clarke
Junior

- posted July 22, 2014 07:44 AM      Profile for Phil Clarke   Email Phil Clarke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello -

Bit late but maybe of use to you...

Bolex cameras - I think the only model still being serviced these days is the H16 16mm model. As for double 8 cameras.... I have two, a D8L and a P3.... They are wonderful examples of precision mechanics and are super fun to use, especially the P3. Unfortunately though there is no surviving European service agent of which I'm aware, and I've just sent my P3 to the USA for an overhaul via bolexrepair.com, price $99 + shipping. It might seem espensive but actually this is likely around the same as a local tech might charge here in London, if I could find one!

greets
phil

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC