8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CHC Film Wants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CHC Film Wants
Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2013 04:51 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so I have to ask. Has anyone encountered this?

So yesterday I received the new "Reel Image" magazine from Steve Osborne. On the 6th page in there is a small blurb about new stuff coming from CHC. Cool! I had to read it. It asks readers to contact CHC (ASAP!) if we have interest in the opening sequence to "Saving Private Ryan" and some other really neat stuff.

So of coarse I immediately emailed Phil at CHC to inquire about the films and to express my interest in them. I was met with a response that said "They are not available. Please read the article again"

Did I miss something? I mean I kinda figured they weren't available based on what I read. Phil has done this to me before. They always want our input of what we want to see on film. Every time (at least in my experience) I suggest an idea (not even features. I like the extracts they do!) I get "no one will buy it" or "its too expensive". Why do I bother emailing? All you have to do is say, "Thank you for your input we will take it into consideration".

Anyone else have this problem? Don't get me wrong, I like Phil. I have bought many great films from him. He has always been an honest seller.

|  IP: Logged

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2013 04:57 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. His replies seem a little "slam the door in your face" via email sometimes.

I tried asking him a few questions, I walked away feeling a little rudely treated and not getting a clear answer.

I've only emailed though. I'm sure he's nice on the phone. I also don't intend to stop supporting but emails can be off putting with him.

It could also be a US to UK communication issue. I've gotten into arguments with Brits because we use words differently and there was a bit of miscommunication.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 02, 2013 06:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I am not a subscriber to the magazine I cannot read exactly what was said in the ad by CHC. If Phil is at the BFCC Ealing Convention this month I will try and have a word with him.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 02, 2013 03:53 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta fly over theer and see what's to be had someday - Shorty

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 01:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem is that emails don't come with any sense of a person's emotions or body language, etc....So a short and direct email is often read as angry or harsh when in fact it is just short and direct..I imagine Phil gets loads of emails, and it is harder to send out longer more engaging texts, plus I don't think it is his desired mode of communication... Steve from Reel Image often sends out short replies as well, but both gentleman are extremely nice...I wouldn't let it sour you on dealing with Classic

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 02:49 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at Classic about four weeks ago, its true when you talk to Phil face to face its a lot better, he was telling me about a couple of his new releases. One films is a I think "Pathe Pic" with the opening of the then new ABC in Sheffield. I would like to buy this one.

His phone rang many times while I was there. Not sure when he checks his e mails though. Like you say e-mail is impersonal and letter on paper is much better, also with e mail most people seem to expect a reply almost as soon as the send button is pressed.

The front of the shop mainly features model railway stuff, with some film posters on display. There's also a 16mm pedestal projector.

But walk into the back room, loads and loads of films, projectors and all things film.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 05:48 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

That was a curt reply. I would feel the same.

Free dictionary

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC