8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Case Of The Red-Eyed Ruby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Case Of The Red-Eyed Ruby
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 06:19 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought a copy of the Inspector Willoughby cartoon called "The Case Of The Red-Eyed Ruby" in a Universal 8 box, number 2510. However, the copy itself starts with the good old Castle logo.

Did Universal 8 in their early days use up stocks of Castle prints before they started producing their own copies with the Universal 8 logo on the head?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 06:52 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. And some negatives were not retired so you could still wind up with the Castle Films Logo & Titles. Most likely the negatives that were still used were made shortly before the changeover to Universal Eight so it wasn't cost effective to redo them. This is also most likely the reason on the Universal Eight boxes/cases it says: "Formerly Castle Films". On many titles the Castle negatives are superior as Universal Eight worked with 16mm preprint while Castle worked with 35mm.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 08:39 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some Castle imports in the 1980s and was very impressed with the quality, some of the best I had seen.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 08:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The box does say "Formerly Castle Films". I understand from Scott MacGillivray's book that Castle made prints from prime 35mm source material, but Universal 8 used lower-grade 16mm source prints, as 16mm masters were handier than 35mm vault materials.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC