8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector Lamp Reflector Update!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector Lamp Reflector Update!!
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 11:25 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings fellow film enthusiasts

On the ELC bulbs does it make any difference if the reflector is smooth or faceted? I was just wondering if one is better than the other and why they offer both types?
Thanks,
Roger

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 01:19 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Roger,

There are Pros and Cons arguments for each design, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no explanations why a manufacturer chooses one design over the other. Until we get a logical answer we can use a Lux meter to see which one projects the brighter light.
[Wink]

Jon

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 01:38 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Jon and thank you for your reply! I went online to order a couple of bulbs and they offered the smooth reflector or the faceted so I guess I will order one of each then and do a comparison.

Have a magical day!
Roger [Cool]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 03:02 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We await your report, Roger, which will be interesting. Why should two lamps be manufactured which only appear to differ by their reflector surfaces?

--------------------
Maurice

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Addams,

Can you elaborate a bit on the pros and cons of the two designs?

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 09:41 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jon,

The question posed by Roger intrigued me as I have heard it before but never gave it much thought. After your question I did a bit of research and I believe this post offers an excellent explanation of the topic at hand.

Jon

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 04, 2013 09:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having clicked on the link provided by Jon Addams, I read the following:-

"Faceted reflectors, if focused to a tight light beam scatter some of the light, so you will never achieve the same tight light beam you could get with a smooth reflector".

Can a "tight light beam" refer to that used in a Super 8 (or 16mm) projector? If so, the smooth reflector seems to win.

--------------------
Maurice

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 11:45 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jon,
Thank you for that post it made for some very interesting reading and helped solved the reflector lamp mystery!
Good job! [Smile]
Roger

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 06:46 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Roger, interesting reading indeed!

Jon

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2013 02:49 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the latest update and this is what I read about the lamp reflectors from a site that sells both lamps.

Osram & Donar smooth reflectors are ideal for DJ Lighting.

GE & Philips w/faceted reflectors are ideal for movie projection.

I just got both today in the mail and I'm going to test them both out and report my findings! We will see if there is any difference between the two?
RS

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2013 03:25 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have thought it was the other way around; smooth surface for projectors.

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2013 11:04 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger,

Do you have a light meter that can measure the quantitative differences in brightness between these lamps? I suppose the only real way to know would be if your projector had a way to make sure the lamp is centered properly, or maybe to try a bunch of one and a bunch of the other to make up for possible differences in filament location.

Either way, it will be interesting to see if you find any difference between the two types.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 06, 2013 02:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep spare lamps for my many projectors and all of the reflector lamps have a smooth surface. The faceted lamps must have been newly introduced and are probably for disco use.

But the proof is in the pudding, so we must wait for Roger's report with his new lamps.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC