8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I Have a Halloween Treat for My Neighbors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Have a Halloween Treat for My Neighbors
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 22, 2013 03:42 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Holloween instead of turning all my lights out and spending the night in my back bedroom...I decided to be a good neighbor and greet the little goblins and ghouls not only with candy...but a little film show too. Tonight I waited until after midnight to test things out figuring the neighbors would be asleep...I didn't want to give anyone a sneak preview. [Cool]

I hung a shower curtain up in my frontroom window...projected the film from inside my house and the image can be seen (in reverse of course) outside the house...very cool! I only have a couple short monster films...but I don't really think anybody will care what the subject matter is. I have a lot of old Disney cartoons on 400 ft reels that the kids might like. I'm going to alternate back and forth between 2 projectors.

-

[ October 22, 2013, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 22, 2013 04:55 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice

You are a genious. A true inspiration to all of us. I am so happy that you are part of this forum. You are THE BOMB!

PatD [Wink] [Wink]

[ November 01, 2013, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2013 06:50 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats good janice get the neighbours talking ha ha

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2013 07:45 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice's contri brought back memories. I used to do the same thing.....projecting on a window shade ..but I put the projector on a projector stand....used duct tape to tape a hand mirror to it and arranged it so the image was not reversed.

These days I spend Halloween outdoors at the church during "trunk or Treat"... I use a 12 foot inflatable screen and have put together two 1200 foot reels of kid friendly Halloween related cartoons and shorts ...and those run from dusk to the end of the event. Last year we had 1500 people come through...getting treats from the decorated trunks of cars...getting free popcorn and hot dogs....pictures etc. I usually use a GS1200 and an ST1200 with f1.0 lens and they do great. This year, I[m putting together a 16mm reel as well.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 22, 2013 11:13 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat:
quote:
I am so happy that you are part of this forum.
I'm glad to be here and just hope I can make some contribution.

Kevin:
quote:
thats good janice get the neighbours talking ha ha
You know...it would be interesting to hear what my neighbors have to say about me... that crazy old lady that lives down the street. [Smile] [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

Gary:
quote:
These days I spend Halloween outdoors at the church during "trunk or Treat"
Sounds like you are a pro at this. I recently saw one of those blowup screens advertised in a Southwest Airlines onboard magazine. I'd be too lazy to set one of those up...the projecting from in-the-house venue is more my speed. [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 22, 2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice stuff, Janice. Great idea
[Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 22, 2013 01:36 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Janice [Smile] ...look forward to hear how things went. I am sure it will be a hit [Smile]

Jamie Biggs
Junior

- posted October 22, 2013 03:50 PM      Profile for Jamie Biggs   Email Jamie Biggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant idea Janice!! If someone had done that when I was younger, I definitely would have gone trick or treating!

--------------------
Jamie :D

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 22, 2013 04:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I was one of your neighbors !

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 22, 2013 07:39 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind comments guys...and I wish you were all my neighbors. Wouldn't that be fun!!!!

--------------------
Janice

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2013 09:41 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff Janice!
I tried this last year with the digital projector, lots of fun:
http://hallowindow.com/

However, Halloween doesn't really work in Australia, it is too hot for most costumes and doesn't get properly dark till 9PM. I wish they would have Halloween in the equivalent time of year here, i.e. our end of Autumn/early winter.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 22, 2013 10:51 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete...that Hallowindow...what a cool idea. I love it.

I also think the Australian government should reschedule all your holidays to be seasonally appropriate. Christmas in the summer?....Hard for me to imagine [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 01, 2013 02:51 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a short video of my Halloween Movie Window. It was a big hit with the kids and the parents. I set up a speaker to play Halloween music...it worked great with the silent films. While I was re-winding I ran a sound cartoon with the second projector. I'll have to collect a few more horror movie titles for next year [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFxBKZmbtas

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 01, 2013 03:36 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great !

--------------------
Dominique

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 01, 2013 04:14 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How cool Jan!

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 11:43 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way too cool Janice,
You are way above and beyond your title of Phenomenal Film Handler!
[Cool]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 03, 2013 11:50 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys... Dominique...Pat...and Roger! It was the first time I've been able to share my hobby outside of my house...literally [Smile]

Roger...I think having a magician would have been the icing on the pumpkin...wish you lived closer [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Janice that would have been a magical night for all to remember!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC