8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Which projector should I go for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which projector should I go for?
Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 10:26 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so now I've settled on Super 8 as my format of choice, what projector should I go for?

I've had my eye on the GS1200 Xenon but I hear a lot about how unreliable it is, not to mention the price of them.

I definitely want to go with Xenon (or some other bright, cold lamp type) and stereo is a must. Optical audio would be nice but I suppose I can live without it (unless anyone has a reason I should need it?).

Ability to mount a scope lens is also a must and ideally a gate with good masking though I'm not sure if this really changes machine to machine?

What are your suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 10:34 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a high end Beaulieu that I've heard is great. Maybe someone here has the correct model.

Though the specs you're looking for means that you're going to pay a tidy sum either way.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 10:43 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie, you may be refering to the Beaulieu 708 el. http://www.filmprojectors.eu/listshow.asp?catid=1&brand=Beaulieu You can also find xenon on some Fumeo projectors http://www.filmprojectors.eu/listshow.asp?catid=1&brand=Fumeo

--------------------
Dominique

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 10:46 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'm sure someone was selling a Fumeo on a forum here somewhere but I can't find the link to it now.

I wouldn't mind a pedestal unit, it's really space for the films that bothers me.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 10:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Buckingham Film services had a Fumeo at the BFCC but I don't know if it is a xenon model or not.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 11:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo, Fumeo or Beaulieu? I have all three, but not xenons. Of the three I much prefer my Beaulieu 708 EL CD.
The Beaulieu 708 ST HPL would suit you, with its metal halide HTI lamp 250w 32v (£190+VAT).
But as said before, you're talking big money.
http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_beaulieu/beaulieu_708_hpl_stereo.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 12:46 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Joel,

in my opinion I would stay on an halogen projector, like a standard ELMO GS 1200.

Both the Xenon version of ELMO or HTI version (not Xenon!) of the Beaulieu are really noisy, due to presence of the big fan to maintain low the temperature of the lamp.

Unless you have the possibility to have the projector in an isolated room, consider this as a possible issue!

The Beaulieu has also another issue, in my opinion... if you need to change the standard reels (120 or 180mt) of a film during a projection, you have to shut down the lamp every time! Of course this is not a good practice for a HTI lamp because it reduces its lifetime. This will not happen for the ELMO, where the lamp can be left on.

On the countrary the lamp replacement is a pro for the Beaulieu, because the lamp replacement in a Xenon model (like the ELMO) is not very practical and safe and requires a certain expertise.

I would consider also the cost and how easy to find are the lamps: the original ELMO lamp (Toshiba) is no more available while the OSRAM HTI lamp used in the Beaulieu can be found.

Last, but not least, these two models are not so easy to find and really costly... I spent about five years to buy bought and today I still continue to use more often my halogen version of ELMO. [Wink]

I hope to have added some bit of useful information for your final choice ! [Big Grin]

Flavio

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 12:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A high end EUMIG is always a great bet. Eumig's are well renown for being extremely delicate with film, which I appreciate, (the less scratches and wear the better, eh?).

I also use high end CHINON's as well, (the 9500 model), however, some CHINON's can be horrible with film. I have had good luck, however.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, quite a bit to consider there.

Maybe a halogen model could be converted to LED? There are some seriously high powered LEDs out there now, has anyone tried that lately?

Availability seems to be a bit of an issue too. Maybe I should just get a mid range model to tide me over until something nice comes up?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bucks has been carting that Fumeo around for a bit and Tony was telling me how heavy it was to lift around. If you have a young back Joel you should be OK but as a first decent machine might be worth looking at a clean Eumig 938 stereo or if you have more money a GS800 perhaps. A good GS1200 Xenon is an excellent machine but as with all used machines avoid a projector that shows signs of a novice messing with the inner workings.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 02:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Lee's choice of the Eumig 938, a superb machine, but you need to get a good f1.0 or f1.1 lens for it. The lens that came with the 938, featuring an optical levelling system, is not that great.
If you just have to have the brightest picture, the Elmo GS1200 is hard to beat, particularly if converted to a 2-blade shutter and fitted with the f1.0 lens.
No matter which projector you are looking at, remember that the lens quality is everything in super 8 projection.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 02:23 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you don't need to spend big money on the big buck projectors. If you're willing to stick with Halogen, I use a ST-1200 with the 1.0 lens at a 22ft throw and the image is (to me anyway,)excellent.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A further good choice is the Beaulieu 708 CD Stereo, this has a 150 watt lamp, f1.1 lens and a spool capacity of 2300'. The lamps are quite cheap too!
http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_beaulieu/beaulieu_708el_cd_stereo.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 04:32 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may try out the ST 1200 then before I go mad buying a super expensive unit.

I notice you are also in Essex Michael, would it be an imposition to come and see yours in action before I pull the trigger? If you are close enough of course. Also do you know of any regular local events?

Thanks again for all the help guys [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 05, 2013 04:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel
You earlier said that stereo is a must, are you aware that the Elmo ST-1200 is not a stereo projector?

--------------------
Maurice

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2013 05:21 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice is absolutely correct in saying the ST1200 is a mono only m/c as is the ST1200D.
However the ST1200HD is capable of stereo playback (not recording) by connecting the two 3.5mm jack sockets on the back of the projector to a stereo amplifier.
There is a fairly low level output from these so a decent amp or pre-amp would be needed.

By the way, my apologies to you, Maurice regarding name badges for the BFCC. I realised I left mine back home when I was about to leave my sister-in-law's house in Romford on Saturday morning. [Frown]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2013 05:46 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah I see. I assumed most models (especially at the price) were stereo.

It may still do as a starter though if I can get one cheap enough.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 05, 2013 08:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a nice Bauer T600 for €265 on German eBay. I have bought from this seller whom I can recommend.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111207775208

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 12, 2013 05:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add my two-pennyworth to Mals statement, I have never been happy with the stereo output from the 1200HD when fed through a professional stereo mixer then Denon high end home cinema amp as the sound level inputs are SO LOW using the two track green monitoring output sockets that when amplified the magnetic tape noise is intolerably loud, it really does manage to completely spoil even the best recorded stereo track on any of my films. You are far better off getting a Eumig 938 or 940 or any other true stereo projector whereby when amplified, the sound if initially good, will be excellent through a decent home cinema amplifier and speaker set up.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2013 06:48 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I , too , was a bit disappointed in the outputs from the St1200Hd's.... I was running them through a mixer using the mixer's line level jacks. However, just for fun one day, I put them into the mixers mic level inputs. IT WAS PERFECT. The line level from the projector was low enough not to cause distortion of any kind, but really cleaned up the sound...gave it punch, sparkle and plenty of volume headroom. I've been using it this way for about a year now...with no problems. The difference in quality and volume was enormous. In fact, with that hookup, the st122hd's sound as good or better than the GS1200. My mixers are just very small Radio Shack units, powered by a 9 volt battery.

David Singer
Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2013 05:58 PM      Profile for David Singer   Author's Homepage   Email David Singer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, is this the Radio Shack mixer you are using?

-

RadioShack® 4-Channel Stereo Microphone Mixer
Model: 3200029 | Catalog #: 32-029

Thank you

--------------------
David Singer

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 16, 2013 03:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great suggestion Gary, given the very low output from the green 3.5mm sockets! I must try this. A word of warning though, this method should not be used for the yellow output or for that matter the headphone output as these mono outputs are at normal line level and may damage your mixer.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2013 08:09 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...David..that's not exactly how my mixers look, but close enough. there are two rocker switches on mine. one for off/on and another for stereo /mono. but basically the one you are showing is quite a bit like mine.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 17, 2013 11:56 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the high end ...

EUMIG (personal choice)
ELMO (some folks swear by them ...)
CHINON (the 9000 level machines, which I enjoy)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dimitris Mpakirtzis
Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2013 12:05 PM      Profile for Dimitris Mpakirtzis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suggestions...

1. ELMO [ elmo st180 0-M telecine, I love it]

2. EUMIG 824 [PERFECT ]

3. BAUER [good machine but mine was a lemon....I return it back]

--------------------
film is alive

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC