8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why do you prefer Super 8? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why do you prefer Super 8?
Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 03:13 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that many of you collect also 16mm and even 35mm.
What is the most important argument for your choose?

I prefer 35mm for the sharp focus and I can use the prints in cinemas for public screenings. But it is very bulky.

16mm is the best for home use, because I use a Elmo 16CL Xenon with a 20mm lens. I have with this equipment the bigest image and it is very bright too.

Only plus for Super 8 is for me the Stereo sound and the Elmo GS1200 is very quiet.

At the end I collect all 3 gauges, but for home use is 16mm the best choice.

What is the reason for your choice?

|  IP: Logged

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 04:50 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect both 8mm and 16mm. Storage is a problem; can easily store a lot more titles on 8mm than 16mm.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 04:50 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in my opinion 16mm is the best as its a good picture quality and very portable .35mm is to bulky with films etc I have nearly a 1000 films on 16mm where would I put these if there were on 35mm I would need a warehouse ,and re super 8 its a definate no to this gauge its like watching a film with sand in your eyes

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 05:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are asked "Why do we prefer Super 8". My answer is that I don't, although I do collect Super 8 I have many more 16mm films and this is the gauge I prefer.
I worked all my life with 35mm but I would never consider this gauge for home use purely for the space which it would need.

--------------------
Maurice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 05:41 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's space and price. I was into 16mm then ran out of space and money. Though I'm not sure which ran out first. So I sold all my 16mm and went into super 8mm. I still have a great collection of films to watch and more space. To tell you the truth , I was amazed at how much product is out there.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 05:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Oemer..
My own collecting is based on a film title rather than a choice of many celluloid formats. For instance, many rare titles only made it onto 9.5mm film so that would be the choice of format and the same would apply to using Standard 8mm (reg 8) with a good example being the first Derann trailer ad reel which was only issued on Standard 8. As far as your question goes Super 8 has many advantages in that projectors can be compact and light and the films take up a fairly small area for storage plus thousands of titles were issued. Moving up the ladder to 35mm which we also have here in the shape of a Kinoton projector which takes up minimal space but film storage can be an issue if you opt to go wild collecting. The image of course from 35 is amazing with such clarity it will blow your mind at home, I view preserving a 35mm projector a privilege and am very choosy with any film collected due to space.If you are a little careful when buying 35mm features they generally sell for around the £50 mark in a quite close nit group of enthusiasts, but if you go to traders look to pay a great deal more. If you are a collector who loves cartoons 35mm is not for you as they are usually very expensive but 8mm has a massive choice at very reasonable prices.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 06, 2013 05:52 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's mostly of matter of having a standard. Being only in one gauge means that every film I have plays on every projector I have and I only need one of things like editors and splicers.

I was into Super-8 from teenage years, so this is where I stay. If I was into 16 it would be that.

It's not just a medium of film collecting to me, I also make films, which is a lot more affordable and portable in S8.

I see a lot of 16 at CineSea, and I like what I see, but the moment I make that leap life will become more complicated, and that's something I'd rather avoid.

[ November 06, 2013, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and re super 8 its a definate no to this gauge its like watching a film with sand in your eyes

Rather a suprising put down to super 8 collectors from someone who is about to host a big film collectors convention.
Almost everybody here knows that super 8 prints can be amazing, and collecting and showing super 8 is a wonderful hobby.
If the poster feels that way what is he doing on the 8mm forum?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 06, 2013 09:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, True....

At CineSea we have alternating Super-8 and 16 on the same screen Saturday night. Obviously in either case we are seeing prints good enough to show in front of a crowd, but the difference isn't astounding. (Certainly there was no "sand".)

Actually it was more a matter of the quality of individual prints than the gauge.

(Doug's GS Xenon with 1.0 lens certainly helped..)

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'd love to see the reaction Mr Guest would get making that comment to Keith Wilton and John Clancy!
Keith and John run all film sizes, but they both love super 8 and have promoted it for years. In fact super 8 has always been the main format of the BFCC, probably because that was where all the action was in the form of new releases.
If Mr Guest wants to run a 16mm only convention, more power to him, but please do not trash super 8 in the process.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 10:15 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a quick look at the dealers, and what they represent, attending the Northern Film Collectors Convention will give Super 8 collectors an idea of what to expect. there are 21 dealers listed but only 4 have Super 8 listed against their name.

I am in no way "putting down" the Convention but as a Super 8 collector, I attended last years convention and actually spent longer queueing to get in than I actually spent in the dealers hall. There was very little in the way of Super 8 product available.

This, of course, is not the fault of the organiser, but I do think Super 8 collectors who are going should be aware of the fact that the guage of their choice is not "paramount" at this event.

The other point that needs to be remembered about the North Film Convention is that it was originally started with 8mm by Regent Films and then advanced greatly by Derek Simmonds of Derann for many years with fantastic success.

Back then all guages were welcome and none were "rubished" but the main product then was 8mm not 16/35mm.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 10:55 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me I would say that it is largely because off the storage space issue. Also super 8 tends to be a little cheaper in some of the genes that I like to collect.
I'm sure I could enjoy 16mm and 35mm quite a bit. However, quality isn't the main reason I'm into collecting film and it doesn't "hurt my eyes" to watch a digital movie [Smile] Although, it is fun to see a print now and again with outstanding picture and quality.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 11:41 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All gauges have their own advantages and their own supporters. I collet films in 8, super 8, 9,5 and 16mm. I shoot also in these three first gauges (but mainly in 9,5 and super 8). I can see no reasons to start a war against a specific gauge. We should all show some solidarity as we all like the same thing : real movie on real filmstock. As I mentionned it in another post, a few years ago when there was still a super 8 festival in Brussels, super 8 films were projected on a big screen in a cinema and the picture was terrific (when the digital projections started at this festival, the size of the picture had to be reduced and the quality, even so, was far from what super 8 could offer at the same time, as projections were mixed).

--------------------
Dominique

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 11:54 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re super 8 every one has a opinion I don't like super 8 I think it look terrible when you try to project a big picture from such a small frame if super 8 was good they would have it in the cinema picture quality is much better on 16mm but 35 has the edge .re super I do support it in fact there will be 2 first class film shows on super 8 presented by bob Nichols on a super 8 xenon projecter as this film convention is for all gauges of films and projecters

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 06, 2013 11:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My standard settup is two machines side by side so I can show films without stopping to rewind.

If I went into 16mm and wanted to keep the flexibility to show my entire collection this would become four projectors, two of them substantially bigger.

Being that this usually happens on a designated end of our dining room table and doesn't always go into storage when the show is over, who's volunteering to sell this idea to the other people in my household?

-although the audio settup to connect four machines into my stereo would be...interesting

--------------------

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 11:56 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re film fair I will be selling super 8 features as well as 16mm

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 06, 2013 12:08 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saying Super-8 is no good because you can't use it theatrically is like saying a compact car is no good because you can't haul concrete with it.

-the right tool for the job, the right job for the tool.

You don't want to haul structural steel in a compact car and you don't want to drive to work in a 40 ton diesel truck with 10 forward speeds and air brakes. (...or at least you shouldn't!)

For the limted screen size my circumstances allow (about 5 feet by 8), S8 does just fine.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A true film enthusiast will enjoy "all" gauges of film collecting and projection, and they "all" have there place...including my 35mm slides. [Wink]

There is so much quality stuff on Super8 that you cant get on 16mm or 35mm and likewise with other gauges of film as well...as I say they all have there place...providing you have room to store it [Wink]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, 16mm is the gold standard of home projection. However, I started out with Super 8 back in my teens and I've recently gone back to that gauge.
Super 8 is more affordable. Good ,original 16mm prints became beyond my means while I had three kids at University.

David, I have seen Super 8 prints which are at least as good as 16 - one which immediately springs to mind is the Derann DRACULA. Others include some of the Blackhawk two reelers. So, while I agree with you that 16mm generally is much sharper and closer to theatrical quality than Super 8, I can't really agree when you suggest that Super 8 is unwatchable.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 01:07 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love Super 8 myself, but picture is sharper on 16mm. Of course 35mm is the ultimate format, it's a hassle and a lot of work compared to Super 8 especially, but also 16mm is quite easy to handle (not sure I agree if I get 10 years more on my already bad back)

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 01:27 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect all formats (8mm, s8, 9,5, 16mm and 35mm) and shoot both on super8 and in 16mm. I don't have preference on one format than the other for what pertains the features, but for short disney and warner toons I prefer to go to 16mm or to 35 only because there's more chance to find the IB tech versions of them.
The problem with super8, for me, is finding very good projectors and the risk that the print can be scratched more easily than the other formats.

[ November 07, 2013, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Fabrizio Mosca ]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 01:46 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Michael may be I should correct my self yes I have seen some top tiles on super 8 as demonstrated by bob Nichols at my film conventions but what I meant to say was, if picture is only about 6ft its fine. but trying to project a big picture then you lose the quality where as 16nn its there

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2013 02:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't like super 8 I think it look terrible when you try to project a big picture from such a small frame if super 8 was good they would have it in the cinema
Screen size is NOT a limiting factor with super 8mm. Resolution is determined by the angle the screen presents at the eye. Simply put a 24 ft wide screen viewed at 48 ft will have exactly the same sharpness as a 6ft wide screen viewed at 12 ft. The only limiting factor for super 8 projection is screen brightness, which is why the BFCC uses the Elmo GS1200 HTI with an f1.0 lens and a 2 bladed shutter.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything Michael O'Regan said.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2013 04:09 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started out with super 8, then later bought B&H 16mm I like both gauges 8mm for shorts and the cut downs. 16mm for larger choice of feature titles and TV series that were never on 8mm. I have a few 35mm, but no projector (yet). I was hoping that someone would have collected 70mm too.

I project at home on 72" screen measured the correct way. I remember one year at Blackpool, The Gables hotel maybe Derann premièred "Raise The Titanic" on the biggest screen I had ever seen 8mm projected on. About 20ft I think.

I think at this time it was still organised by Regent Films and not Derann, but not 100% sure. Projection could have been done for the scope show by Tony Shapps of the Widescreen centre.

With the right pre print super 8 is excellent. I have had a couple of 16mm that were quite poor in focus.

But as long as its real film all the gauges would be OK with me.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC