8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Of High School, Tape Splices and Ektachrome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Of High School, Tape Splices and Ektachrome
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2013 08:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If been on a project these last few months of taking films I made the first few years I was in Super-8 (1978+) and bringing them up to standards to start showing them again. This means going through and remaking splices, adding black leader at the heads and tails, putting them in cardboard storage boxes hoping to avoid vinegar syndrome and labeling them too.

There is one I made in my senior year in High School in my Electronics class (4 hours a day five days a week: we were close.). I promised the guys I would show it in class the last day, so to speed up editing I tape spliced the whole thing. At the time I told myself "I'll resplice with cement one of these days". I'm 51 now and 33 years out of high school: "one of these days" turned out to be yesterday.

This was actually kind of an experiment in the long term durability of cement spices and Ektachrome film.

The tape splices held up better than I had any expectation. There was no spreading at all. The only thing is these were done on the tape splicer of a Baia editor, which cuts the film on a double curve. They were taped on only one side and in a number of cases that leading point on the downstream piece of film caught on something and snapped off. If they were cut straight and taped double sided, I might not have respliced at all.

These were filmed on the old Ektachrome 160G film, and I was concerned about fading. Nothing to worry about: the color is just as good as ever, despite not being kept in archival conditions by any stretch (just normal room temperatures). Following the end of Kodachrome, I've been concerned how my new films on 64T and 100D will hold up. If these look as good when I'm 84 as this one does at 51, all I hope is I'm still capable of enjoying them!

The movie itself? -bunch of young guys headed off to college, just being high school kids in those great last few days. Some graduated from college, some didn't. Most got married, a few of them a couple of times. Hairlines are certainly further up and waste lines more ...abundant in many cases. If mine are any indication, joints are certainly less willing at times. One healthy looking young guy's daughter came to the 30th reunion in his place because he passed away a few years before.

For myself, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. I'm pleased to say everything I'd hoped for turned out OK, and even more I hadn't even considered yet.

Those were bright, optimistic days: and I have the film to prove it too!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 18, 2013 02:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the sixties I made the wrong decision to use Gevacolor for my standard 8 shooting purely because it was cheaper than Kodachrome.

My cheese paring idea has now given me poor faded pinky colour films, whereas all my earlier Kodachrome films are as good (in colour) as the day that they were returned from Kodak.

--------------------
Maurice

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2013 03:43 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You and I are about the same age Steve, I'm 50. High school, especially my senior year, was definitely the best of times.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 19, 2013 04:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its really amazing looking back at old home movies, for the most part I used Kodachrome 40 and the colour still looks great. The images look "so alive" as if it was all shot yesterday.

I did my own striping back then and still have some film where, for a couple of seconds the stripe will wiz across the screen "look there goes the sound track [Cool] " when I accidently bumped it during striping, I never did fix it.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 19, 2013 09:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The high school film started with some pretty grand ideas about how I was going to title it, so it would tell a story. The way it turned out was basically just a window into what went on in school.

With what I've learned about filmmaking since then I bet I could come pretty close to finishing it, bt it's a relic of it's time so I left it as it was.

--------------------

Tom Hardwick
Junior

- posted November 20, 2013 03:29 AM      Profile for Tom Hardwick   Email Tom Hardwick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Fuji Super-8 tape splicer in about 1983 along with the dedicated adhesive rolls of perforated tape. This very cleverly applies an 8mm wide 2 frame patch to one side of the film and a 2 frame patch between the sound stripes on the other side.

It's as invisible a splicer as I've found, although the Wurker can match it at a far higher cost per splice. Thing is these splices are much more reliable (and far less visually and aurally intrusive) than the cement Kollmatic that I used for a good few years.

So tape rules in my book, which amazes me when you see how little surface area is involved in the patch.

tom.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 09:18 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same experience as Maurice regarding Gevacolor that I shot in the 1950's - all turned pink. It was quite a bit cheaper than Kodachrome but could not match Kodachrome's brilliant colors, having a more pastel look.
All my Kodachromes from 60 years ago show zero fade. Thank you Kodak!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2013 11:04 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The History Channel has a series called "WWII in color". The footage is stunning, and obviously Kodachrome.

-then again they colorised a bunch of footage once and did "WWI in Color". It wasn't quite the same...

Back when I first started making films Ektachrome 160G was basically the universal stock. It worked everywhere from daylight to room light. A lot of people never used Kodachrome for this reason.

K-40 was always my favorite, followed by Plus-X and 100D.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 04:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't use much Ekatchrome 160, but it was excellent in low light. I used a couple of rolls on a wet wintery night in the centre of the city. I was really pushing it light wise, but the results were amazing....really really good. The camera was a Canon 512XLE...and I still use it.

I think Kodachrome40 had a finer grain than the 160,so I used K40 most of the time. I wish they still made it, it was a nice film.

Tried out for the first time, a scan on the back cover "Super8 Filmaker" 1977 adding a blue border... [Roll Eyes]
 -
[Cool]

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 10:32 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the early to mid-70s, my friends and I made lots of super 8 films. We even did a few with synchronized sound - using a silent camera, a tape recorder, having a lab stripe the finished film, I then dubbed the audio on my Elmo ST-800. What a job that was! I still have all the films and audio tapes. Despite being in the business of transferring other people's home movies, I never transferred my own. I hope to rectify that.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 26, 2018 01:09 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we shot several rolls of film over our years, one was an effort of a film made with many friends and was our one and only huge effort at a serious film during ww2 back in 1982. 600ft of film ended up edited onto a 400 and every tape slice has held up very well.
We used the 4 frame quick splice tape cut into two frames and have done that up until the beginning of this year where i finally bought a cir. [Wink]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 08:40 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thread Steve
Kodachrome 40 and Ektachrome 160 were the silent and sound cartridges I used the most, along with some of the cheaper options back in the 1960s through the 80s. Kodak color and B&W processing were always very nice as opposed to the generic processing from my local supermarket. I remember one stock in particular that was very thin. I guess it was polyester (?)
Also have to say I was lucky to find a Ciro two frame splicer early on; and the tape splices have held up great after all these years [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 26, 2018 08:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back at the time I made this film my favored splice was an overlapped cement splice: half a frame gets the emulsion scraped off and it is cemented over a frame of the joined cut.

I did this for years until I made a couple of films that were going to get sound striped. EVT magnetics wanted beveled cement splices so I had to sit on E-bay for a couple of weeks and get a Bolex beveled splicer.

This splice is a tiny, sloped cut through the film at the frame line on both ends and a cement join on these matching slopes. The splices are invisible, flat and dead quiet running through the gate. They are quite reliable if done right, but a little bit of an art. They also generate a lot of dust and you need to wipe the area of the splice after each one or you'll have a snow storm on screen. It's good to clean the splicer often too.

The tape splices I had on this film were obviously very durable, but they were downright awful on screen! They were pretty much the severed halves of two frames in the gate at the same time.

I can see how a tape splice that managed to cut along the frame line would be nice.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2018 07:31 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all of the box warnings that color dyes may, in time, change, the Kodak stocks have indeed done remarkably well. I always thought the 160 looked fuzzy and way to grainy, but I think the aperture on my cheap camera couldn't cope with sunlight and that stock. And, of course, most of it was NOT in sunlight.

My quandary is that all of my editing was done with Kodak Presstapes, which are durable enough to probably survive something nuclear, since they're 6 miserable frames long. (Yep, cockroaches and Presstapes will be all that's left after a nuke. Picture that.) So if I were to redo splices, it would clean up those horrendous 1/3 second messes. The problem is getting them off of the film. That adhesive tears off its plastic base and is as indestructible as an adhesive can be. Pretty impressive after 40 years, honestly.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2018 02:47 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even the Ekatchrome 40 (which was not around for long) had more grain then K40. I believe they made it so that it could be cut into E160 without a colour/contrast shift as you would get with K40.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 31, 2018 11:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve ...

You're post warms the heart!

When i was in high school, I took the "media" class and luckily, Dale Klitz, (the teacher, who was actually rarely in the class), had an "inside guy" with the local movie theater, and brought in lots of old 16Mm trailers as well as a few 35MM ones, and i would spend many a happy time splicing these trailers onto reels together, with a was allowed to bring home!

The class was "officially" designed to keep the 16MM projectors working, (this was back in the early 80's when they were still using 16MM), but we pretty much goofed off in the class, but boy! It WAS FUN!!!'

Bless you, Mr. Klitz! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 31, 2018 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in 11th grade and a brand new filmmaker, the Camera Club got it in their head to make a Super-8 film and I joined immediately.

Unfortunately this was the Adviser's idea and the still-photography orientation of the members rebelled against the idea.

-We never shot an inch of film, but maybe I actually wound up doing that film all on my own in my Senior year.

How you see these things changes so radically depending on the point of view you have sitting in front of the screen. When I was a 17 year old with a movie camera, Mom and Dad were roughly 40: healthy and actually youthful. They had always been there and of course they always would be. Seeing them on screen was just what you'd expect: of course they are there! It was like looking out the window and seeing the sky!

These days I see those same films and they drift into frame quite a lot, it just pushes me back into my seat!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC