8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Film Tension Roller

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Film Tension Roller
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 26, 2013 09:44 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just successfully installed a film tension roller assembly, which I got from Leon, on my GS1200. It replaces that black plastic piece which can scratch your film. It works like a charm, with the roller rotating smoothly as the film is transported to the lower sprocket. You have to wonder why Elmo did not design this into the GS1200.
No more scratches! [Smile]

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2013 10:43 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul. How did you attach it to the existing assembly? Did you cut off the plastic piece or did you install a totally new roller assembly? And how did you figure out the spring tensioning of the roller?

Thank you.

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 26, 2013 01:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon supplied me the whole assembly already put together - arm + axle + roller, all assembled. All I had to do was unscrew the old arm assembly, remove the spring, attach the spring to the new arm assembly, and bolt in place. To ease access to the screw , I removed the lower green film guide. Spring tension did not change.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2013 12:55 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome. I never thought of a rubber roller. It is rubber right?
I made a similar mod to my ST-800 except with a nylon roller and I used the existing hardware just by cutting off the plastic arm and threading an axle in it's place.
This is very pro job compared to my experiment, though.
Nice!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 27, 2013 06:06 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Leon ? Has he a website with spares to sell ?

--------------------
Dominique

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2013 09:51 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the man?

Leon Norris United States

315 West Forance Street
Norristown, Pennsylvania
United States

Telephone: +1 610 275 1225

I would like this mod too.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 27, 2013 10:21 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks really good and I'd happily install one, although I should say that I had the plastic piece it replaces slightly customised when I had some enhancements done to my GS (mainly in the vicinity of the top sprocket) about 22 years ago. I haven't had scratching at any point since, so it's not too difficult to stop this piece from being a problem.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 27, 2013 11:12 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leon Norris, otherwise known as Mister Elmo USA, is THE man.
And yes, the roller is rubber. Looks to me like Leon used the same roller as that pressure roller used just before the film enters the sound head.
Leon has recently moved. His new phone number 215-439-1228
or email:
LL623norris@verizon.net

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2013 12:05 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a photo of my nylon roller mod.

-

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2013 08:02 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick, did you have the capstan in your GS 1200 covered with rubber? Or maybe it's not a Gs 1200? But what about the capstan?

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 29, 2013 12:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did that roller to the bottom left of the sprocket come from? My GS has no such roller.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2013 01:52 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All very interesting.

Maurizio, the rubber covered capstan was a later mod by Elmo which, I believe, was designed to reduce static crackle from mag stripe, a problem which plagued the ST range certainly.

My ST was returned to Hanimex UK in 1988 (Elmo agency at that time) for repair and one such replacement part was the rubber covered capstan as opposed to the original, un-coated brass capstan.

Another much touted fix for static crackle during that era was to screw a piece of wire to the body of the machine internally and let it rest upon the fly wheel itself, thus earthing it. Not a great fix, me thinks.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 29, 2013 02:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Patrick's machine is an ST-800.

-looks just like mine.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2013 04:52 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is my ST-800. Sorry for the confusion.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2013 12:45 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting, pals. But was the home-brewed fix on the ST 800 successful?

--------------------
Maurizio

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2013 02:36 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my nylon roller works very well, but I think I'm going to make another one with a rubber roller from a parts machine I have laying around. I think the overall result will be the same but something about the rubber makes me think it will be safer in the long run.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 26, 2013 03:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've had to get rid of the roller, at least for now. Here is the problem:
When projecting stereo films I hear a clicking noise on track 2. It is not a steady click, and it varies from film to film, but it is loud enough to be heard over the normal level sound on track 2, and that includes music tracks. It seems to me that what I am hearing is a static discharge, originating somehow from the spinning roller. When I just touch the end of the roller shaft very lightly, the clicking sound goes away. I have gone back and fore from the roller to the original Elmo black plastic tensioner, and this clicking noise is only present when the (Leon) roller assembly is installed.
My feeling is that it has to be a very minor issue, possibly peculiar to my projector or peculiar to the particular roller assembly that I got from Leon. Mechanically the roller assembly works great and there is no evidence at all of static 'clicks' on track 1 playback. So what is it in that roller assembly that only affects track 2 ?????

Very puzzling................ [Confused]

[ December 27, 2013, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 29, 2013 11:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed the roller in my other GS1200 and I could still hear some clicking on track 2. I then adjusted the position of the projectors tensioning spring slightly and the problem went away.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2013 05:24 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so are you back to saying it might be a good mod for folks to do?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 29, 2013 09:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I would recommend any GS owner to try this mod because it completely eliminates the potential for scratching by the existing black plastic tensioner. It is now performing perfectly on one of my GS1200'S. I have run about 6 stereo prints and the clicking problem I heard on track 2 has completely gone. Just keep in mind when you install it that you may have to make some minor adjustments to the roller or spring position.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC