8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 700 sound question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 700 sound question
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 08:27 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!

My old Chinon bit the dust so I recently purchased a Sankyo 700. I like it a lot but I have one small issue. To put it in my wife's words, "It sounds like the actors are sucking helium!"

I can either playback 18 or 24 FPS, but when I play 24 the action seems correct but the voices are, well, high pitched. Am I missing something? 18 is too slow.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 01, 2013 02:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the action looks OK when running at 24fps but the sound is not good it appears that the trouble may be around the sound head. Probably the pressure pads are not holding the film securely enough.

Have a look and see if there is anything which might be causing it, say, a small broken piece of film, for instance. Use a cotton bud to clean the head, there may be a build up of brown magnetic dust on it.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi inside the machine are 2 small pots that adjust the 2 speeds. from memory the one on the left is for 24fps. I had the same problem as you, the action looked ok but the sound was high pitched. I made a slight adjustment using a cocktail stick to avoid touching any of the electronics with a metal screwdriver. MIKE

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 01, 2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
Chad says the action seems correct, if so, it seems that the projector is running at 24fps, and if so, it may not be a speed issue.

--------------------
Maurice

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2013 12:41 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's not a speed issue, then it must certainly be a matter of poor (insufficcient) force of the sound pressers against the heads. It's rather common on all Sankyo's, a problem which becomes apaprent when the pressers' block which is lifted upwards when the main selector knob is on sound projection, is hindered in its going all the way up; perhaps this is caused by hardened grease or dirt: also the pich roller has to excise enough pressure against the capstan and the film inbetween. I think a good starting point to solve this problem is to check all of the above mentioned points; should this prove unsuccessful, it might be a matter of film vibration caused by the claw being not perfectly tuned.

--------------------
Maurizio

Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2013 09:31 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info everyone! Opened the projector yesterday, found the pots and fixed the issue!

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2013 02:59 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chad, I thought it would be a small speed issue. It's funny though you just don't notice it visually. Cheers MIKE

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC