8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chaplin Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chaplin Films
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 08:31 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again.

I've been keeping my eyes open for The Gold Rush, Modern Times, and City Lights but I never see them come up. Did the Blackhawk digests of these come under other names? I know that happened with the old Marx Brothers pics (like This Is War is Duck Soup and so on)...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2013 03:38 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, The Gold Rush went out of copyright in its original form when Chaplin brought out a re-edited sound version in 1942 and forgot to renew the copyright on the 1925 version. Collectors Club brought out a Super 8 full length version of the 1925 edition in the UK in the mid 70s. Sadly I misguidedly sold my copy 20 years ago but I remember the print was quite good although obviously copied from a 16mm print. The other features were tightly controlled by the Chaplin Estate and only "leased" in Super 8 ie were ultimately intended to be returned. How many customers took this up I don't know but they must be very rare.

--------------------
Paul.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 02, 2013 04:40 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 200 feet digest (or extract, I don't remember) of Modern Times.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2013 04:49 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember now that I once had an anonymous 400ft extract of the first 2 reels from Modern Times, Charlie going berserk on the production line. The quality was poor and it was almost certainly a bootleg copy from a 16mm print.

--------------------
Paul.

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2013 07:36 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chad: I have The Gold Rush. Its on four reels, regular 8mm.
that I might let go. It would be a week to ten days before I can screen due to three days of chemo treatment starting
tomorrow. Or you could take it without screening. If you
dont like it, send it back. What's the going price anyway.
I haven't been keeping up on price.

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 09:37 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/k-pf79d.htm

scroll down and you see at the end (page 42), the german company Piccolo Film released in 1979 modern times, gold rush, the great dictator and city lights as full length features.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2013 09:56 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The other features were tightly controlled by the Chaplin Estate and only "leased" in Super 8
I guess this was only true while Chaplin was alive and before 1979. Great link.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC