8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Reg 8mm film and help on EUmig 905

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reg 8mm film and help on EUmig 905
Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 11:02 PM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, Can a Eumig 905 run Regular 8mm film, or a S912?
I found a reel of my father's and he had put what looks like Super 8mm lead in film strip on it, as holes along edge are smaller,, plus reel for this one is smaller than all his other reels, which are Super 8 as they all have sound strips. Can Either of these Eumigs' run it? 905 or 912 910?

I got hold of a Sankyo 600 the other day, certainly better projector in my view for running larger reels of film, larger I mean more film 600feet ones, as the Eumigs were struggling to run, well the S912 was, I have a problem with 905, only way I can get the motor to run is by winding the inching knob which is the knob on the rear as you look from behind projector, anyone here know why that would be happening, a mate of mine and I have looked right in unit and cannot see why, everything seems to be okay as in belts etc.

Sorry for double questions, any advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Phil

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 01, 2013 02:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of the Eumig projectors you mention can run standard (regular) 8 film.
Has your troublesome Eumig been newly acquired, or has it been standing unused for many years? Try just running the motor, i.e. not the drive mechanism. It may just need a good warming up.
With many Eumig projectors it is always a good idea to run the motor for a few minutes before attempting to lace a film.
Also check to see if any grease may have become hardened.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 01, 2013 02:42 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the Eumig projectors that are dual gauges have the letter D in the reference number (like Mark 610 D or Mark S 810 D for example). Usually, when a projector (whatever the the make is) is a dual gauge, it is written and there is a knob super 8/regular 8. On some models, you have to change the gate and the sprockets. They may be inside the projectors (lamp side of course).

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2013 11:04 PM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Thanks for replies.

Projected was bought 2nd hand off EBay, it was working, but then someone touched the Inching knob and ever since the only way to get it to run is to basically wind the inching knob up and then let go, very strange, I have ran motor on its own and makes no difference, something is not engaging when I turn projection knob to fwd or back projection, I can see the metal piece move into position, but nothing happens, Unit was cleaned and dusted using compressed air and lubricants spray for electronics. This was before it played up. Anyway know what these look inside, as I noticed last night, where the white plastic cogs are towards rear of unit, there appears to be what looks like yellow one, but it has no teeth or whatever they are called, but it seems to run I bought it quite cheap as a back up to my late father's Eumig S912, as that struggles to run 400feet reels let alone 600 feet ones, I think I take back off it and see if that yellow wiring or whatever it is, is inside this unit, do a comparison, as I doubt there would be much difference between them.

I've attached a picture or two of inside from back and front, don't know if it will help anyone or not.

Cheers
Phil

ps I understand about Eumig now being Duel Mode with D in name, so this one can only play Super 8mm, what about a Sankyo 600, it says it takes Super 8 and Single 8, so why would a single 8 film be so jumpy and impossible to get frames right, looks like 2 x 1/2 a frame is showing at a time

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2013 11:09 PM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Thanks for replies.

Projected was bought 2nd hand off EBay, it was working, but then someone touched the Inching knob and ever since the only way to get it to run is to basically wind the inching knob up and then let go, very strange, I have ran motor on its own and makes no difference, something is not engaging when I turn projection knob to fwd or back projection, I can see the metal piece move into position, but nothing happens, Unit was cleaned and dusted using compressed air and lubricants spray for electronics. This was before it played up. Anyway know what these look inside, as I noticed last night, where the white plastic cogs are towards rear of unit, there appears to be what looks like yellow one, but it has no teeth or whatever they are called, but it seems to run I bought it quite cheap as a back up to my late father's Eumig S912, as that struggles to run 400feet reels let alone 600 feet ones, I think I take back off it and see if that yellow wiring or whatever it is, is inside this unit, do a comparison, as I doubt there would be much difference between them.

I've attached a picture or two of inside from back and front, don't know if it will help anyone or not.

Cheers
Phil

ps I understand about Eumig now being Duel Mode with D in name, so this one can only play Super 8mm, what about a Sankyo 600, it says it takes Super 8 and Single 8, so why would a single 8 film be so jumpy and impossible to get frames right, looks like 2 x 1/2 a frame is showing at a time

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 03, 2013 01:17 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single 8 and super 8 are the same gauge. There are two different names because the camera system are different. Super 8 uses the Kodak cartridge system while single 8 reffers to the Fuji cartridge system. The film stock is also different, super 8 is made of acetate and single 8 of polyester. So, super 8 can be spliced with film cement or tape; single 8 can only be spliced with tape. Regarding projection, the stock a little bit thinner so you can put more single 8 polyester film than acetate super 8 stock. Both films run in the same projectors.

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2013 12:16 AM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique for reply ands details.

Reel is reg 8, which I now know is not same as single 8.

Oh well only one 200foot reel. May get that converted professionally.

My mother would love it, has us all 4 boys very young when we had just moved into new family home in 1966. so rare film.

If I find anymore reg 8 film, well then I will have to invest in a duel projector or a reg 8 one.

Erik Snel
Junior

- posted December 19, 2013 03:18 PM      Profile for Erik Snel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you want a reliable projecotr for regular 8 and super 8 films i would recommend buying a eumig from the 600 series. those are the best there are. 800 and 900 series have the major rubber disc problems and don't work most of the time

--------------------
Erik Snel Eumig Expert
ES Filmtechniek

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2013 05:15 PM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reply Erik and suggestion.

I found another eg 8mm reel, so that is 2 now and I suspect might be more at my older brother's, as I am sure my father filmed things before Super 8 came out, which I believe was late 60's, well 1968 was first time he used one, going by films I have. We think he had a reg 8mm projector at one time, who knows where it is, bit late to ask him, though as he passed away 10 years ago, hmm I really should of thought of this before then. Still he would of loved digtal technology like we have now, must of taken him hours to put sound on films and then do a narrative as well. Cheers Phil

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC