8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New projector ...that works?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New projector ...that works?
Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2013 08:22 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had experience with a never used projector in original wrappings.. thirty plus years old....that worked without major issues (other than lubrication)?

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 10, 2013 08:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI tires on an idle car that was stored in a garage for 1 year, if the tires are touching the ground, the tires will no longer have perfect round shape. I have this experience and needed to buy 4 new tires as a result.

This is why we need to jack up the cars if it is not use for a very long time.

Same thing with the belts on the projector, if the projector is not use for a very long time, the belts should be released.

Moreover since the belt is made of rubber and due to the weather changes during that time, the belts must have been gooing (melting).

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2013 09:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the electrical angle:

Electrolytic capacitors depend on having voltage applied to stay...capacitive!

I'd imagine a machine that had remained dead for thirty years would have tons of hum on the audio because of this. The filters in the power supply circuits would let the line hum shoot right through. Supposedly Electrolytics also dry out so they might not form up again with use either.

(I used to work for a power supply manufacturer and they changed electrolytics in stocked units after 5 years)

Switches like to be worked to break their oxides too. After thirty years their contacts would be pretty bad conductors at first.

A machine like this could wind up being a project. Then again if it got turned around it could be very much worth it too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 10, 2013 10:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't obtained one 30+ years old but in 2005 I obtained a Eiki 16mm projector (an ENT) that was about 20 years old. The box was still sealed and the projector was wrapped in a plastic bag within the box, which may have been a good thing. Apart from having to tighten the frame line lever after a while, and replace the focus knob tubing, I haven't needed to do anything to it and it has been the best, most reliable 16mm projector I've ever owned. It still has the original belts.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 11, 2013 01:05 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, your UK 's climate has helped a lot to preserve those things.

Once we are in more humid and warmer climate than what Steve and I mentioned would have been the impact.

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 11, 2013 01:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. My best Elmo which does not see daylight very often was new and in the box complete with clear cover etc still in place. They still do turn up and a year or two ago got a new Eumig as well which was very lucky.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 11, 2013 04:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The top belt on a Elmo ST-1200 always gives trouble when it gets old, whether new or old. As members know, the belt goes right across the top between two pulley wheels for the take-up.

Over time, if the projector is not used, the belts form a round bend on them where they rest around the pulleys; thence, when switched on the belts wobble and do not grip enough to drive a take-up spool.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC