8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Office On Optical

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Office On Optical
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 26, 2013 05:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought a Film Office 400' Chaplin and am surprised it has an optical sound track. Did Film Office put out many titles on optical, were they only optical releases or did they offer the same titles also with magnetic sound?

It's a good job the film "Charlot Vagabond" was still in its original box with OPT printed on its lid because the leader says "Film Sonore Magnetique".

I was very impressed with the picture and sound quality, particularly the sound track which is probably the best one I've heard added to a silent film.

At the beginning Charlie is playing his violin outside a pub, but apparently unknown to him a brass band is playing round the corner. Finishing his violin solo he goes inside to pass his hat around. As the customers obviously only heard the band they assume he is collecting on their behalf. But when the band's representative soon comes around collecting he is told in no uncertain terms that they have already given to Charlie who is then relieved of his collection.

As the shots change we hear either the violin or the band. Also there are some sound effects blended in.

I bought this little gem from Barry Attwood at Independent 8. Thanks Barry.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 26, 2013 06:48 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Office released some Tom & Jerry in optical sound.

--------------------
Winbert

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2013 02:51 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Film Office copy of "Charlot Policeman" or, as it's more widely known, "Easy Street" with optical sound, music and effects.
Only drawback is it's 17 minutes long, meaning there are some 5-6 minutes missing.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 28, 2013 04:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Office only had a few titles out with optical sound. I'm currently travelling so I don't have access to my pile of catalogues.
And, yes, the quality of the prints was very good.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 28, 2013 11:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jean-Marc
I await to hearing further when you have access to your Film Office catalogues.
Yes, the print and sound are excellent.

--------------------
Maurice

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2013 03:51 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They also had a number of Popeyes in optical sound.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2013 07:04 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Steve Osborne's last list there was a MR. MAGOO "When Magoo Flew" super 8 with optical sound...I wonder if it was Film Office or did Columbia put that out?

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC