8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S802D Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig S802D Question
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 09:37 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, I think I may have mixed up the gates for St8/Sup 8, as the film becomes unsteady really easily in this machine, so can I just check I have this correct...for Super 8, the gate clipped to the lens end of the chasis has an orange label, the other side is all black but marked with an S. For Std 8, the part on the lens end of the chassis is has an S with a background of silver, but the other part is simply black, unmarked.
I can't imagine I have this wrong, but thought I'd check. I have to keep momentarily hitting the thread lever (under the lens) to restore steadiness.

|  IP: Logged

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 10:13 AM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
another easy way to tell is that the standard 8 gate will have a lip at the bottom to take the film further from the sound head to achieve 54 frames separation,

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 10:29 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gates: Part nearest the lamp. Identified by the fact that they have slots for the claw and two locating pins on the lamp side. Regular (Standard) 8 has a forward facing "Chute" at the bottom of the moulding to direct film into the external film path, and has a SMALLER aperture than the Super 8 one.The Super 8 one is identified with an "S" on the outer face
Pressure plates: Part nearest the lens. Om my 810D the Regular (Standard ) 8 one has a smaller aperture than the Super 8 one.
The Super 8 one is identified with an "S" on the outer face.

In my experience, the "S" is not always present because it is a stick on label and easily lost! Once identified, mark both gates and pressure plates with "S" or "R" to avoid future doubt.

With these machines, ALWAYS press the threading lever down to close the external film channel whilst threading, whether using Super or Regular 8 film. And, of course, NEVER remove of replace gate components if the dot on the inching knob is not at the top!

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 05, 2014 10:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To avoid damage to the claw when changing gates always ensure that the dot on the rear inching knob is set to twelve o'clock as in this position the claw is withdrawn.
Also, ensure that the lens is fully forward when changing the gates.

--------------------
Maurice

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 11:02 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the details everyone. I think I have the gate correct. However, I will double-check. What could be causing the picture to turn to "rolling frames" i.e. loss of loop?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 05, 2014 11:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loss of loop could indicate a damaged claw. Does this happen with all your films, both standard and super?

--------------------
Maurice

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 11:09 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claw is okay...I can project perfectly until a splice goes through...or once I have tapped the threading key to restore the image to normal, straight after threading.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 11:14 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon, I would just like to confirm that the information provided by Martin is 100% for the Eumig model he mentioned as I also have an 810d. I also have a Bolex super 8 machine which is identical, but not dual gauge. It is very important that when loading the machine you hold that loop forming lever down until the film leader appears from that "chute " at the rear. Also equaly important is the information about lining up the dots on the knob on the rear of the projector when removing the gate and pressure pad. If you do not do this , you risk damaging or breaking off the claw pins. I am assumin your model is the same design as ours of course, as I am not a Eumig expert and designs did vary over the years. Incidentally, I have also discovered that my Bauer and Agfa LS projectors have many idetical parts. Ken Finch. [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 05, 2014 11:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like gate pressure problem. Take out gates and double, nay, triple check you have a correct pair.

Martin has explained that the standard 8 gate, known as the Film Guide has a curved lip at its bottom to send the film into a larger loop. Its mate, called the Film Pressure Plate has a smaller picture rectangle, i.e. size of the standard 8 frame.

The Super 8 Film Guide has no extending lip, and its mate, the Film Pressure Pad has a larger aperture to match that of the Super 8 frame.

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 05, 2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SI You need to contact the new Mr Eumig. Phil Sheard helped me so much recently I have daubed him the new Mr Eumig aka the Man.
Mind you sometimes the little top spocket can become loose so might be worth checking the allen key lock on it. Todays top tip.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 01:49 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is worth remembering that the two front (Pressure) plates are actually IDENTICAL except for the fact that the apertures are provided by "foil" inserts into a larger aperture. These foils can become loose: it is then better to remove them instead of trying to refix them. This will not affect projection in any way as it is the rear plate which defines the projected frame area.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC