8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Gone With the Wind screenshots (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Gone With the Wind screenshots
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone have any really nice screenshots from the Derann release of this classic? I'm going to list this on ebay in a few days, but I totally suck at screenshots, and I don't want to downgrade the sale of this with crappy screenshots on my part.

Just so everyone knows, I will state that the screenshots are from another print of the same print run, which I'm pretty sure it would be. A lovely print, to be sure.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the point in putting up shots that are not from the print for sale?

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 02:00 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's your asking price gonna start at?

I never seen this and not sure if it's rare or not on Super 8.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Michael. You should not use screenshots from another print. I think for a film as expensive as GWTW most potential buyers would want to see the actual print being offered even if you state that your print is the same quality as these pictures. I dont think buyers are looking for perfect screenshots, just good enough to show the colour and any marks etc.

Graham S

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 05:25 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, if you have a video camera or can film a clip with your phone, it's much easier to grab pictures from them than taking an actual photo

Get the video onto the PC, run VLC (a free viewer) find a good picture, goto video and click Snapshot and you have a decent picture

http://www.videolan.org/index.html

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 06:33 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the Derann print it should be sharp, nice sound, and with gorgeous eye popping color. I have not heard of a Derann print that wasn't this way. My Derann print is beautiful.
And rare. I think a forum member here sold one for almost $1000 and the last one on ebay went for $650 but that was awhile back. Before Derann closed.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 06, 2014 10:02 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, as many listings are using pictures from even a still photo or screen shot of other prints or just from google, I don't see any problem for Osi using this with clearly stating in the listing about it.

Osi, lucky I compiled some screen shot in my photobucket. There are 7 screen shot of this very title.

Here is one:

-

You can find them here:

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/winberthutahaean/media/Untuk%20Email/Gomewiththew ind.jpg.html

(click next for other pictures)

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 12:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert ...

The point is, if the print is from the same company, with the same production standards (and possibly even from the same print run, but that can't be absolutely proven), same film stock ect. then most but not all prints will have the same color and quality.

The print I will be selling doesn't have a knick or scratch on it and has gorgeous color. Those screenshots look identical to the print I'm selling. That's why.

Believe me, if I could get screenshots like that, I wouldn't ask.

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try my suggestion? It probably will give you shots like that

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were selling my car I wouldn't put someone elses same make and model car in the photo.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 03:47 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi

I hear ya. My cam does aweful screenshots so i never use them.

PatD

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 03:52 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still think you should film the screen, then take snaps of the file, much, much easier

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 05:06 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You should not use screenshots from another print. I think for a film as expensive as GWTW most potential buyers would want to see the actual print being offered even if you state that your print is the same quality as these pictures. I dont think buyers are looking for perfect screenshots, just good enough to show the colour and any marks etc.

Well said, Graham.

I can't imagine anyone from this forum ever buying a print for the kind of money GWTW fetches, based on screenshots from another print. In fact, I'm pretty certain that, if someone else had put such an auction up on ebay, it would have immediately been brought to our attention here, in the "Ebay Oddities" section, as being ridiculous.
Is this the direction in which we'd like to see the hobby go now?

Come on, Osi. Get a grip, bud.
[Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 08, 2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm ...

Gee folks, lets look at the facts ...

1. Same company (DERANN)
2. Same Film (Gone With The Wind)
3. Same Film stock
4. Same negatives, (perhaps another new negative, but from the exact same source material)

... and, as will be stated in the auction, the shots are not from the same print, but from a print with all the same properties as the one with the screenshots, personally verified by me, and as scratch-less as the print in the screenshots.

Now, that isn't so hard to understand. Besides, I could understand all the fuss if I was using a 16MM print screenshots, or from a DVD (how many times have we seen that on ebay?), but no, I'm using screenshots from a super 8 print, from the same company, with the same film stock and the very same quality. In fact, better, as, screenshots never do full justice to a super 8 print. Close, but never quite as good.

Besides, if you don't want to bid on it, then don't, just have fun nit-picking ...

Oh, by the way, OSI, has a firm "grip" [Smile]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2014 12:14 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Michael about selling your car. In the same way anybody selling their house would not use photos of the house next door and state that the room sizes are the same, same builder, same bricks, same age etc.

But its worked for you before Osi so give it a try again if you want to. Were not nit picking, but it just seem odd to any potential buyers and taking a photo is not rocket science.

On the other hand Ian from Perrys never gives any screenshots but still gets top prices for his films.

Graham S

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 08, 2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not pissed, everybody has they're own opinion, it's just that I have never mis-represented a single print I have ever sold, and even with a top dollar print like this, I wouldn't start now ...

... and yes, it has worked before and as in the other circumstances, I have always stated that, if the screenshots are not from the specific print they are from the same film companies print and on the same film stocks and image quality.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 08, 2014 01:28 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, that isn't so hard to understand.
No, I think I got it the first time.
[Wink]

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2014 08:40 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk, talk, talk...
How about less talk and more listing of the print? [Smile]
I'm anxious to see the details.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 01:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this is the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GONE-WITH-THE-WIND-featureSuper-8-color-sound-LOW-FADE-film-stock-Excellent-/321318635247?pt=US_Film&hash=item4ad01546ef

Osi,

Is this print on cores?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 10:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

As I said above putting pictures not from the print being offered has become a norm in Ebay.

How do you see these listings which I randomly picked:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-Feature-LO VERS-AND-LIARS-LPP-GOLDIE-HAWN-R-RATED-VERSION-MINT-/201031478590?pt=US_Film&hash=item2ece68ed3e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251441808463

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laurel-Ha rdy-Gyp-the-Gypsy-The-Bohemian-Girl-400-super-8-sound-Blackhawk-/251446563240?pt=US_Film&hash=item3a8b6211a8

We have been discussing before about this issue (putting picture from other sources), and seems to me as long as it is stated in the description, we are OK with that.

quote:
In the same way anybody selling their house would not use photos of the house next door and state that the room sizes are the same, same builder, same bricks, same age etc.
This even more often to happen in non-film related items' listings. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/i tm/New-Sony-VAIO-SVF15A18CXB-15-5-Touchscreen-Laptop-i7-3537U-2-0GHz-16GB-1TB-8GB-/251447395433?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3a8b6ec469

Do you think the picture on the above listing is from his own laptop being offered?

No he took from photo stocks of the same item, same size, same company, same color, etc.

If we are OK with the above listing, why we should think different for Osi's.

If I were a potential buyer of the above laptop listing, before I am placing my bid, I will ask first his own laptop's photo. You can also do the same for films listing, right?

The thing is just because OSI requests the pictures publicly does not make his listing become illegitimate.

My 2 cents though,

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 12:06 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me there is a difference between using stock photos and/or obvious publicity stills for a listing than using pictures of someone elses projected film print. Personally I would rather see an actual picture of the film reels or the derann boxes, etc. than images from someone elses print. Classic just sold the Star Wars print for decent money and only had a picture of the boxes. I know Osi is not doing it to deceive but I doubt I would purchase a print from someone I did not know if they used pictures from a different print.

Osi, many of us have seen some of your music videos, just shoot a vid since you are well skilled at that, then they can hear the audio as well.

I think in this day and age it raises a red flag to most people to hear someone say they cannot get a picture of something because it seems unthinkable when digi cameras can be had for pennies, or if you have a cel phone, or if you have a laptop, or a tablet, or a kindle

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 12:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally I would rather see an actual picture of the film reels or the derann boxes, etc. than images from someone elses print.
Dino, many listings are using someone else print. The only think is the sellers did not mention it in his/her description. But the film listing with still pictures is actually = "someone else" print. It can be from DVD projection or taken from the 35mm positive print. Am I right?

I would rather think in general. And if the general rules apply without any complain, why we should think differently to Osi.

But again, as I say above, if I were a potential buyer of this listing, I would ask the seller through Ebay email server to provide me with the seller's screen shot of the very own print. But as I am not, that is why I am not asking it.

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 12:42 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I agree because Osi is honest and upfront in his listing about the origin of the pics I don't have a problem with him or his listing, but honestly I personally do not know of a single other listing that I have seen where the seller used images from a separate projected print..

I think this is where you and I differ, because I do not equate a still photo or a production still as "someone elses" print..I think those types of images are so obviously not from a super 8 film print it would never cause confusion. For Instance I purchase quite a number of prints from other countries, where I do not speak the language, and I rely on things like Google translate...If Osi's listing was on German Ebay or Ebay japan or something and I translated it I may not get a clear translation that the images were from someone elses print and if I bought it and noticed even the slightest difference in quality I would be concerned....

I think the bottom line for me (Osi or not) is it seems like a risky practice in general when there are so many other options that could help sell the print just as easy.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2014 01:13 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Do what lots of other ebay sellers do just put a picture of Cark Gable or put a picture of the reels

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering why it's on cores.

I've been after a Super 8 split spool for a long time.They're very rare. Osi, If you're interested in selling yours, let me know.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC