8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon sound 9500mv

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon sound 9500mv
Vin Collins
Junior

- posted February 26, 2014 08:39 PM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi....I have this projector and Im trying to figure out how to transfer an 8mm sound film to my digital camcorder.....I know how to transfer the picture using a telecine box but Im trying to figure out how to cleanly transfer the audio with it?

I have an audio out jack on projector and audio in jack on my camcorder and I linked an audio cable from projector to camcorder......but when I try to transfer film the audio sounds a little distorted upon play-back....is there another method??

|  IP: Logged

John Selph
Junior

- posted February 26, 2014 09:03 PM      Profile for John Selph   Email John Selph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the jack actually audio out or is it an external speaker jack? If speaker, that will be the cause of the distortion. If it is audio out, you may need to "pre-amp" the signal to get proper levels for you camcorder. Also, make sure you are not jacking into the ext mic jack on the camcorder. That again will have improper signal levels. Only other option would be to record the sound to an external device and sync it back to the video while digitizing.
Hope this helps,
John

--------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx -

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vic: First of all is the sound from the projector
clean? A set of headphones would come in handy and a
audio mixer. Mixers are cheap and handy. I have a very small mixer we use in the field that is about 4 X 4 X 2 inches.
Uses no power, just has a knob to turn the sound up or down. Also have used an inline 10db reducer to input to the camcorders mike input. Got it at Radio Shack. Its about the size of a pencil, 1 1/2 inch long. And you can add more than one. Good luck with your project.
Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Vin Collins
Junior

- posted March 10, 2014 02:57 AM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chinon 9500mv projector says "monitor jack" in the owners manual....and I and plugging into my mic jack on camera....so apparently I need a pre-amp...mixer now? Otherwise the audio when coming out of projector speaker is fine. Yet when I did connect cable to projector monitor jack and my camcorder's mic jack...I was still able to hear the audio coming out of the projector but my camera didn't pick up the projector motor noise-

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 04:43 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The level of the audio coming from the projector is WAY, WAY too great for your Camcorder Mic input. It needs to be attenuated greatly.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC