8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Buying A Eumig P8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buying A Eumig P8
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 27, 2014 02:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The standard 8 Eumig P8 (and its models with built-in tape synchroniser) was very popular in the 50s and 60s. So much so that there are always bargains available on eBay.

However, a replacement lamp could cost you more than the price paid for the projector!

The models are as follows:

1) P8 & P8 Imperial
2) P8m & P8m Imperial
3) P8 Automatic & P8 Phonomatic
4) P8 Automatic Novo & P8 Phonomatic Novo

The lamps for 1 are the A1/186 @ approximately £15
The lamps for 2 and 3 are the A1/193 @ approximately £30
The lamps for number 4 are the A1/215

The A1/215 is the FCR quartz halogen and is a current item. Maplins (ref FU88) are only £3.59.

As will see from the above it will pay to buy the Novo models.

A word of warning, the P8 was replaced in 1967 by the Eumig P8 Dual. It's a pity that Eumig still used the nomenclature P8 as this new model bears no relation to the earlier models in any way.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 27, 2014 04:56 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Novo is very nice. Great wide 2 pin claw as well. You have an odd back to front film loading but you can just run them in the usual way as well then use rewinds etc.

Like you say Maurice re the bulbs the 215 is brighter, and a xenophot and seem to last forever.

We used to project from the top of a 4 feet high fridge freezer and knocked a Novo off on to the floor. What a crash. A couple of bits on the sprockets had to be clicked back on, but it was back running in minutes with the bulb still ok too.

I`m sure a good novo could last a 100 years.

All the P8,s I had seemed to like a free warm up run for a few minutes to get to a point the speed was fairly constant.

Little belters really.

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 27, 2014 06:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested in the Novo. Click for pic.
http://home.scarlet.be/stef49/Collection/Eumig/en_Eumig_P8-auto.html

--------------------
Maurice

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2014 06:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with the Novos is that it does not have the lubrication spot wells of the earlier models...the central/disc claw mechanism requires disassembly to lubricate.
I remember someone on this board once described converting the base of an incandescent bulb to use with an halogen for the earlier P8 models.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 28, 2014 06:07 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Phonomatic Novo instruction book says there is only one lubrication point, that is the red dot above the sound roller of the sound coupler. "All other parts of the projector have received life-long lubrication at the factory".

The lid of its original box has an address label marked Johnsons of Hendon and dated 18.2.64, so mine has just turned 50-years-old.

What life did Eumig anticipate for it, I wonder? It still looks as new.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 28, 2014 06:36 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in finding any commercial product todsy that will last 50 years. Our Kenmore washing machine, now all of 8 years old, needs to be junked. It's cheaper to replace it than have it repaired. Our previous one lasted 30 years. So today, everything is designed to a specific (short) lifetime, so there is a steady demand for new product.
We are fortunate that Eumig, Bolex, Elmo, designed their projectors to last. Heck, my 1922 Pathe Baby still runs like new.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 28, 2014 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like nobody makes anything to last anymore ...

Heck, I'm STILL using my Realistic brand Dolby surround processor, which I bought way back in the late 80's, ( believe, I'm not quite sure of the date, but I have had that thing forever it seems).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC